Size of interiors of VW Golf and VW Jetta, 2019-2021

Are they the same size in front? We had a Jetta last year as a rental and it was a crusher for both me (6'2") and my wife (5'10).
I've spotted a low mileage Golf I like but if it's too small I want to cross it off my list before looking at it

How big is the inside of a Jetta?
Total Passenger Volume – 94.7 cubic feet. Front Headroom -38.5 inches. Front Legroom – 41.1 inches. Rear Legroom – 37.4 inches.

2019 golf
Front head room38.4 in.
Front leg room41.2 in.
Front shoulder room55.9 in.

Golf's are very popular in Europe and are made for tall Germans.
The Golf is no longer a Jetta version with a hatch, that was years ago.

The Jetta for many years now is mostly a North American VW and was discontinued years ago in Germany.

I had a MK6 GTI with a sunroof and am also 6'2". But I'm skinny with a 30" waist and had zero issues regarding size. My brother is a couple of inches taller than me, now owns it and I never heard him complain.

Rented the newest gen Sentra last year and the car is not meant for tall people. The center rear view mirror is low and blocks visibility.
So there are aspects like that.

I have a MK7 golf and it's huge inside. I'm 6' 220lbs and I feel small in it. The seat height is low like a sports car, leaving lots of headroom.

I'm 6' and the seat is only halfway back on the seat rail for me. It's crazy. I honestly think it could fit a 7 footer without much issue.

Mk7 golf is fairly small but offers a lot of room for its size. They are a bit low to get in and out of meaning an SUV just has it beat for easy in out. If you want to be driving small, nimble, and fun its worth looking at.

Rear seat room, specifically for fitting large car seats or trying to seat 5 is not great. If you get the wagon you have a lot of nice cargo space and not much more weight.

I have a 2017 Golf Alltrack. I am 6' and weigh just over 200 pounds. The car fits me very well with no issues at all. I find it very comfortable to drive on long trips.

a few years ago i was thinking to trade away my 2.5 passat for a 1.8tsi golf. at 6’2”, 230lbs i felt hemmed-in in the latter. my passat is surprisingly nimble for being so roomy, and i got 37mpg on a recent east coast, 4 hour, i95 jaunt.

Golf's are very popular in Europe and are made for tall Germans.
The Golf is no longer a Jetta version with a hatch, that was years ago.

The Jetta for many years now is mostly a North American VW and was discontinued years ago in Germany.

I had a MK6 GTI with a sunroof and am also 6'2". But I'm skinny with a 30" waist and had zero issues regarding size. My brother is a couple of inches taller than me, now owns it and I never heard him complain.

Rented the newest gen Sentra last year and the car is not meant for tall people. The center rear view mirror is low and blocks visibility.
So there are aspects like that.
Historically, it's the other way. Golf was developed first (1974), then the Jetta/Vento/Bora (1979) was a Golf with a trunk

But after the MK5's, design-wise, they went their separate ways, as the Golf continued to be a world-wide product, while the Jetta became Americanized for 2010 (New Compact Sedan), to the extent that they also no longer shared interiors and suspension was different enough, where you can't interchange parts anymore, despite being built on the same platform.

Historically, it's the other way. Golf was developed first (1974), then the Jetta/Vento/Bora (1979) was a Golf with a trunk

But after the MK5's, design-wise, they went their separate ways, as the Golf continued to be a world-wide product, while the Jetta became Americanized for 2010 (New Compact Sedan), to the extent that they also no longer shared interiors and suspension was different enough, where you can't interchange parts anymore, despite being built on the same platform.
Yes the days of owning a Jolf or a Getta are gone.

Back