Six month changers: do you change the filter too?

You know on the Duramax it sees pretty light use these days to at around a couple thousand miles and 18 months it gets new oil and new filter. On the New Mazda its going to be less than a year but oil and filter will get changed close to 5000 miles.

Why would you even DO an oil change after 1500 miles? Maybe after 2 years or one year, but certainly not after 6 months.
That’s what I thought until I actually looked at my owners manual. For my Nissan it recommends six months regardless of mileage. Same with my Mazda. I’ve never done that with either.

My Chevy has only seen 3000+ miles once since I’ve had it. It just gets changed every August.

With DI engines and oil dilution bet on it! First OCI comes on the New Mazda in a few months yes its going to have an UOA why I want to get some vehicle history on weather Oil dilution is going to be a problem. My guess is people with New DI engines are clueless about this!
*Not sure if this is a reply to using a good oil filter more than once IF the oil filter is rated for 10K , 15K or 20K mile usage ? I have a well-kept GDI engine using FRAM Tough Guard or Ultra for two 4K ~ 5K mile OCI's with no ill affects .

One way to answer your question: would you save a quart of used, drained oil and pour it back into the engine? Your leaving the old oil in the filter and you're getting the same result. Your car, your choice.

One way to answer your question: would you save a quart of used, drained oil and pour it back into the engine? Your leaving the old oil in the filter and you're getting the same result. Your car, your choice.
Anybody with a little common sense knows enough to drain the oil out of the filter if they don't change it.

*Not sure if this is a reply to using a good oil filter more than once IF the oil filter is rated for 10K , 15K or 20K mile usage ? I have a well-kept GDI engine using FRAM Tough Guard or Ultra for two 4K ~ 5K mile OCI's with no ill affects .
That’s what I’m going to start doing with my Nissan because the oil filter is hidden under a plastic shroud that requires several bolts to remove.

Anybody with a little common sense knows enough to drain the oil out of the filter if they don't change it.
To each there own - however the small amount of left-over oil in an oil filter is far less than what remains in your engine / oil pan when you change the oil . Next , some oil filter gaskets will not seat properly and are prone to leaking once installed for an OCI , then removed to empty oil out and then re-installed . Best to leave a twice used oil filter alone and when you do remove it you do so because it's going in the garbage .

Yes I change the filter with every OCI. I average about 8,300 miles a year or 4150 miles between changes. Manufacture recommends 5,000K oil changes under severe service.

Back