Six month changers: do you change the filter too?

For my Toyota and Lexus, I do 5K mile OCIs (this happens every 6 months) and 10K mile FCIs AFTER the first 30K miles (prior to that it's 5k miles for both) with the rationale that most of the break-in materials are now out, and since Toyota/Lexus recommends 10K OCIs the filters should have no issues going 10k miles. My wife and I truly do not operate under the severe use category.

The Kia will get 5k mile OCIs and FCIs because I'm just a little more cautious with that engine.

With a GDI engine my OCI's are 4K ~ 5K miles / 6 months (I usually hit the mileage first) . Using a Fram Ultra , I have no issues running that same Fram Ultra for 2 OCI's . At 10K miles / 12 months (2 OCI's) I figure I have gotten my $$ out of the Fram Ultra thus it's time to change the filter out .

I do two 5k mile OCI per filter in my GDI Tucson with Wix/NAPA Gold and next Tough Guard, with no worries.
I only drive 1-2 times per week (bicycle to work), so not a lot of short trips, so up to 1 year OCI, 2 years on a filter.
With COVID last 2 yearly changes were 2900 and 3300 miles.
I've done this for 3 cars and 30+ years.

i always change the filter at each oil change for both my cars. every may & november regardless of how few miles driven. usually anywhere between 2.5-4k. i always use full synthetic. whichever is on sale. castrol, quaker state or m1. my upcoming change im going oem filters on all future changes. motorcraft & hyundai.

Fresh oil and fresh oem oil filter each change (6M or 5K) for my two toyotas and one honda

I used to change the filter every time I did an oil change. Then I got an EWK oil vacuum. Now I simply suck the old oil out, see how much came out (for records purposes only), then top it off with fresh oil til it’s full. I repeat this until I hit the 20k mile mark since my shelf is full of wire-backed Ultras. I backed off my UOA schedule to the same; if it’s 4X OCIs to a single filter, it’s one UOA. Time submerged in oil is not going to negatively affect synthetic media.

I can’t believe all the tree-huggers & greenies on here that are recommending scrapping a perfectly good oil filter. I say run it to the filter manufacturer’s mileage recommendation. Many OEMs even say to leave the filter on for 2x their OCI; with a good filter what’s there to worry about??

Since I still have 5 each wire-backed Fram Ultra's for my truck, I will be changing them every second or third OCI, or every 8,000 to 12,000 miles. I would follow a similar schedule with the Wix XP, the Royal Purple and AMSOil, and even the Purolater Boss filters.

Lesser filters are changed out every OCI.

Last edited:
I used to be anal about changing the filter at each 5K service. Now it is every 2nd or even 3rd. 15K should be fine with a 20K rated filter. I now use the MityVac every 4.5k to 5.5K, so the oil is pretty fresh.

It amazes me , ppl can spend $50k on a car , $80k on a truck and $350k on a house but, buying another $8 oil filter when it's time , is where they draw the line.

uhhh...

Oh Florida, I see.

It's more the point of extra waste. If you can do topside changes with a mityvac and your filter is hard to access, I can see going two intervals with a really good filter for sure.

I personally don't see the point at all of using an Ultra (or similar) for a 5k OCI. Seems like a total waste.

It amazes me , ppl can spend $50k on a car , $80k on a truck and $350k on a house but, buying another $8 oil filter when it's time , is where they draw the line.
When I buy a $50K car I try to get my money's worth, I don't throw it away before it's worn out and I don't change a filter on it before it's reached the end of it's service life. The frequency at which I change an oil filter, I base solely on my understanding of how long it can perform adequately.
Everyone body seems to have a different opinion about this. That's fine.

The question is when is it actually time? I’m not sure a filter that’s been on for six months and 1500 miles needs to come off just yet.

Back