Six month changers: do you change the filter too?

For my Toyota and Lexus, I do 5K mile OCIs (this happens every 6 months) and 10K mile FCIs AFTER the first 30K miles (prior to that it's 5k miles for both) with the rationale that most of the break-in materials are now out, and since Toyota/Lexus recommends 10K OCIs the filters should have no issues going 10k miles. My wife and I truly do not operate under the severe use category.

The Kia will get 5k mile OCIs and FCIs because I'm just a little more cautious with that engine.

With a GDI engine my OCI's are 4K ~ 5K miles / 6 months (I usually hit the mileage first) . Using a Fram Ultra , I have no issues running that same Fram Ultra for 2 OCI's . At 10K miles / 12 months (2 OCI's) I figure I have gotten my $$ out of the Fram Ultra thus it's time to change the filter out .

I do two 5k mile OCI per filter in my GDI Tucson with Wix/NAPA Gold and next Tough Guard, with no worries.
I only drive 1-2 times per week (bicycle to work), so not a lot of short trips, so up to 1 year OCI, 2 years on a filter.
With COVID last 2 yearly changes were 2900 and 3300 miles.
I've done this for 3 cars and 30+ years.

i always change the filter at each oil change for both my cars. every may & november regardless of how few miles driven. usually anywhere between 2.5-4k. i always use full synthetic. whichever is on sale. castrol, quaker state or m1. my upcoming change im going oem filters on all future changes. motorcraft & hyundai.

Fresh oil and fresh oem oil filter each change (6M or 5K) for my two toyotas and one honda

I used to change the filter every time I did an oil change. Then I got an EWK oil vacuum. Now I simply suck the old oil out, see how much came out (for records purposes only), then top it off with fresh oil til it’s full. I repeat this until I hit the 20k mile mark since my shelf is full of wire-backed Ultras. I backed off my UOA schedule to the same; if it’s 4X OCIs to a single filter, it’s one UOA. Time submerged in oil is not going to negatively affect synthetic media.

I can’t believe all the tree-huggers & greenies on here that are recommending scrapping a perfectly good oil filter. I say run it to the filter manufacturer’s mileage recommendation. Many OEMs even say to leave the filter on for 2x their OCI; with a good filter what’s there to worry about??

Since I still have 5 each wire-backed Fram Ultra's for my truck, I will be changing them every second or third OCI, or every 8,000 to 12,000 miles. I would follow a similar schedule with the Wix XP, the Royal Purple and AMSOil, and even the Purolater Boss filters.

Lesser filters are changed out every OCI.

Last edited:
I used to be anal about changing the filter at each 5K service. Now it is every 2nd or even 3rd. 15K should be fine with a 20K rated filter. I now use the MityVac every 4.5k to 5.5K, so the oil is pretty fresh.

It amazes me , ppl can spend $50k on a car , $80k on a truck and $350k on a house but, buying another $8 oil filter when it's time , is where they draw the line.

uhhh...

Oh Florida, I see.

It's more the point of extra waste. If you can do topside changes with a mityvac and your filter is hard to access, I can see going two intervals with a really good filter for sure.

I personally don't see the point at all of using an Ultra (or similar) for a 5k OCI. Seems like a total waste.

It amazes me , ppl can spend $50k on a car , $80k on a truck and $350k on a house but, buying another $8 oil filter when it's time , is where they draw the line.
When I buy a $50K car I try to get my money's worth, I don't throw it away before it's worn out and I don't change a filter on it before it's reached the end of it's service life. The frequency at which I change an oil filter, I base solely on my understanding of how long it can perform adequately.
Everyone body seems to have a different opinion about this. That's fine.

Because the filter has plenty of unused capacity?
Not only that, but many filters (not only oil, but more specifically air filters) perform better the longer into the OCI they are used.
Changing it more frequently not only wastes $, but also introduces more contaminants into the engine.

The question is when is it actually time? I’m not sure a filter that’s been on for six months and 1500 miles needs to come off just yet.

Back