Sitting at Chuck Yeager’s Desk

My Sister-in-Law was recently promoted to Commandant of USAF Test Pilot School as a continuation of her outstanding career in the AF. We attended the Change of Command ceremony and toured the TPS facilities full of all sorts of interesting flight test technology. She’ll be in charge of incorporating Space Test into the school as the Space Force stands up in addition to continuing to train Test Professionals for air forces around the world.
The Commandant works at the same desk used by names like Chuck Yeager and Buzz Aldrin. I got to sit there for a few minutes playing with a model X-1 with my kids and taking in the history. Unfortunately, like most places at Edwards AFB, no photography allowed.

That would have been a cool picture, but its still a very cool experience. CY was a longtime boyhood hero of mine. It diminished somewhat in the later years as he's become a bit of a grumpy old fart, but his accomplishments still shine.

My Sister-in-Law was recently promoted to Commandant of USAF Test Pilot School as a continuation of her outstanding career in the AF. We attended the Change of Command ceremony and toured the TPS facilities full of all sorts of interesting flight test technology. She’ll be in charge of incorporating Space Test into the school as the Space Force stands up in addition to continuing to train Test Professionals for air forces around the world.
The Commandant works at the same desk used by names like Chuck Yeager and Buzz Aldrin. I got to sit there for a few minutes playing with a model X-1 with my kids and taking in the history. Unfortunately, like most places at Edwards AFB, no photography allowed.
That’s just plain awesome!

Congratulations to your sister in law!

Well, I'm one up on you. My daughter works at SDASM - San Diego Air and Space Museum. Several years ago they had a ceremony for all 3 pilots of the sound barrier breaking including B-29 pilot Bob Cardenas (now age 100) and trail pilot Bob Hoover (d. 2016). She has numerous pics of her in the center of the 3 pilots and proudly displays an autographed one by all 3.

Shameless plug: SDASM just reopened - they need the business - Balboa Park.

Last edited:
I echo Astro's thoughts... it is an awesome accomplishment of the
highest order and we all wish her a roaring success...

I confess Yeager is my hero... In 1975 I was stationed at Norton AFB
and I proudly participated in his Pass and Review retirement ceremony...
Among the greats who honored him that day was none other than Jimmy
Doolittle...

Bob Hoover and a gaggle of P51s planned a fly over but couldn’t pull
it off for some reason...

Fast forward to 1996 at the Grass Valley fly-in and I noticed Yeager
just casually walking among the masses... I excitedly blurted out "Gen
Yeager sir" but he blew me off and bolted before I could bring up
Norton and his retirement ceremony... I know he hates adoration for
just doing his job and is suspicious of people claiming to be at his
retirement but I think if he would check my recollection of the event
and review my photos he would graciously afford me a signature in my
Yeager autobiography...

YeagerRetirement (1).jpg
YeagerRetirement (3).jpg
YeagerRetirement (4a).jpg

My only encounter with CY is very minor. I was stationed at Edwards 1997 during the air show for the 50th anniversary of the USAF and of supersonic flight. During the days leading up to the air show many interesting aircraft arrived and parked on the Transient ramp. Fulfilling our duty as an Airman with a line badge, we’d find reasons to skate out of work and cruise the flight line to see what new aircraft were parked.
A P-51 landed and taxied past us then proceeded to taxi away from the Transient ramp and to the Test Pilot School ramp. Who the heck does that? So we followed it. Then we noticed the plane’s name was Glamorous Glennis. At that point us lowly Airmen had overstayed our welcome in that area and left.
That was the last year that CY started the air show with a sonic boom. He “Hung up his jet keys”

My SIL has had an interesting career and is quite decorated for not being a pilot. Her resume has a lot of “[Data Masked]” in the details. I’ve never known what her real jobs are, some day I’ll know.

Back