Site with a bunch of cut open filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good find. The data is close to 3 years old, and may not reflect current Purolator construction with the current ownership.

Also, I wonder if the lack of a bypass in the St and STP was due to a lack of understanding of how an Ecore works.

Excellent!
thumbsup2.gif
Curious how some would single out one manufacturer for possible change over the time since this study was posted. Any could have changed, for better or worse.
21.gif

It's the most recent study I've seen, only 2+1/2 years old and IMO, quite well done. Excellent quality pictures and data speadsheet.

Some observations. As said, creator deep lava, clearly didn't understand the ST/STP combo ADBV/bypass valve.

Loved creator comment regarding Fram Extended Guard. "The XG Fram is, can't believe I'm saying this, a decent filter."
LOL.gif

Having just finished cutting open a Purolator Premium Plus, I was a tad surprised to see PPP(Mopar) base end bypass in the study. The L14610 I cut open had dome end bypass and no string. I suspect the difference has to do with the L14670 being a larger filter and different applications. PPP and Mopar both look well made.

The Pure One based on the study data, still looks to be a great value.

Since the study Purolator has increased the efficiency of the Premium Plus, now Classic white from 96 to 97.5%. And the Pure One from 98 to 99.9% efficient.

Thanks for posting.

I feel good now that I did get the PureOne with the Valvoline oil deal at AAP. That was a GREAT deal and perfect for me. For those unaware of what deal this was....
5 qts Valvoline Maxlife/Durablend
AND
Purolator PureOne

FOR $17.99 +Tax

Most of my filter chopping has been in the past. I singled out Purolator because both their ownership and construction have changed. I was very disappointed with the last few I looked at. I have been using them, but will be seeing what some other brands are doing now.

IMO, you got a good deal and should be satisfied. 5qt. jug VML is now $15.50 at Wally. And the regular price of a Pure One at AAP starts at ~ $6.50.

I enjoyed reading some of other comments and descriptions by creator deep lava.

He describes the dome bypass valve on the Pure One/Bosch as "45-speed record adapter spring thingy". lol. For those not old enough to remember the 45 single vinyl records, it does look very much like the adapter part that went on the record player to play 45 singles.

The other one I like is the description of the K&N dome filter nut as "the 1" bung thingy".
LOL.gif

If he had done Motorcraft, like FL-820S, it would have looked much like the Puro Premium Plus except it would have had a silicone adbv.

I've been using the Bosch Premium for the last year on my vehicles. They are always in stock at Autozone here in So Cal but at a 50 cent premium to the equivalent PureOne at Pepboys. I'm walking distance to the nearest Az.

FYI. Having checked, the Purolator Classic L14670 (and other apps) no longer has a base end bypass valve design, it's now dome end like the Pure One. The Mopar's I looked at do have a base end bypass. As said, Motorcraft(Puro) is base end bypass as spec'd by FoMoCo.

Originally Posted By: TomSlick
Here is a site I found with several filters cut open. Not sure if it has been posted before or not
disected filters on 300cforums

Good info except the comparison between M1 and K&N. I've cut both up myself in virgin condition. While they are both Champion Labs designs (and the K&N adds the nut on top), the elements are not the same. The two sellers advertise that they are not the same, and if you look at the elements, you can feel the difference, and see a difference in color.

IMO, Mobil and K&N are both using the same "skeletal structure", but using different elements that are focused on the primary goals of each filter (great filtration for M1, great flow for K&N).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back