single stage compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are both made in china reed valve compressors, and can not handle heavy duty cycles. The motor will not like a lot of starts and stops either. They are hobby or farm duty. Piston compressors that start and stop more than 7 to 10 times an hour all day will have a short life. When our production expanded, I converted our heavy duty 2 stage to constant run and unload the heads after we kept tripping the motor starter. Now the economy has crashed, our production has fallen so I have converted it back.

Just a rule of thumb. If you are using this in a shop go buy an 2 stage disk valve with intercooler and unloaders. Otherwise buy the one with the best warranty and price.

Rod

I have the Home Depot version of the Lowe's one you're looking at. I've had it for about 6 years now and it has worked fantastic in that time and I've never had one problem with it. It can keep up extremely well with everything I do (I use just about every tool you can imagine except paint guns). One suggestion is to use floor mount rubber islolators for installing it and it will help cut down on the noise quite a bit. The drain valve on the bottom that it comes with isn't very good, either. I switched it out for a ball valve style from zorotools and it makes draining much easier.

Originally Posted By: dave123
What will be it's primary use.

Just home garage, impact wrench, random orbital sander. Hvlp paint gun. I won't really be using them like in a shop. I just want a compressor with enough flow to paint a bit.

My oiless compressor only has about 8.5 at 40psi( and its probably overrated, i'd bet its really 6) i think i've had it 10 years or more. So not really heavy use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
They are both made in china reed valve compressors, and can not handle heavy duty cycles. The motor will not like a lot of starts and stops either. They are hobby or farm duty. Piston compressors that start and stop more than 7 to 10 times an hour all day will have a short life. When our production expanded, I converted our heavy duty 2 stage to constant run and unload the heads after we kept tripping the motor starter. Now the economy has crashed, our production has fallen so I have converted it back.

Just a rule of thumb. If you are using this in a shop go buy an 2 stage disk valve with intercooler and unloaders. Otherwise buy the one with the best warranty and price.

Rod

Its possible the compressors are china, The puma seems to be a usa tank mexico electric motor and taiwan for the compressor. The kobalt is kentucky for the tank mexico again for the motor, not sure about the compressor. The kobalt appears to be a campbell hausfield relabel.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Also another question, is thee an advantage to a twin cylinder vs a single?

A twin cylinder (not to be confused with a two stage which also has two cylinders) is just for more air output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back