Similar Threads

Yeah it is interesting to see how things change... And some things never change...

And how certain topics are thought about and brought up time and time again. That is actually interesting in my opinion.

It's really cool seeing those old threads. I saw one from 2002,way before i joined. Saw some familiar screen names and some I've never seen. I hope the unknowns are still among us and doing well. It's interesting seeing lots of Mobil 1 15W50 mentioned and recommended in the older threads.

It's really cool seeing those old threads. I saw one from 2002,way before i joined. Saw some familiar screen names and some I've never seen. I hope the unknowns are still among us and doing well. It's interesting seeing lots of Mobil 1 15W50 mentioned and recommended in the older threads.

What's old is new again.

When I first joined (and, actually, I had a different username, years ago, prior to 2010, but I've forgotten what it was now), everybody was all, "thin, thin, thin".

Now, over the last couple of years, it's swung back towards the thickies.

What's old is new again.

When I first joined (and, actually, I had a different username, years ago, prior to 2010, but I've forgotten what it was now), everybody was all, "thin, thin, thin".

Now, over the last couple of years, it's swung back towards the thickies.
Yep you're exactly right!! I remember back then too,everyone was on the thin train. 10W30 was the "new 20W50" and was too thick to use in anything. Now the W40's are the "in oils". Like they say, history always repeats itself.

Yep you're exactly right!! I remember back then too,everyone was on the thin train. 10W30 was the "new 20W50" and was too thick to use in anything. Now the W40's are the "in oils". Like they say, history always repeats itself.
The 3k OCI seems to be coming back on some engines.

I think that's because there have been lots of discussion and technical references that show a distinct correlation between parts separation (and effect on wear) and oil viscosity ... and realizing that CAFE is the driver to brainwash people into using thinner and thinner oil. People are tuning in to and understanding the basic aspects of tribology more and more here.

I really like the "similar threads" suggestions. I just read one in the Bicycles subforum. From 2006, but still completely relevant and helpful. (Ironically enough, I was going to start a new thread here, but saw that this one already existed.)

I disagree that threads older than a year or two should not be referenced - there's a lot of wisdom and good information in a lot of those old threads.

I also don't see the harm in resurrecting old threads. Yes, if the OP has been gone for a dozen years there's little point in trying to answer their questions, but in general I see no harm.

Back