Silverado oil concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Recently my neighbor also purchased a Silverado. He said the previous owner used 10w40 oil. He went to change the oil and used 5w30. He told me that he has a lifter noise now, but did not before the change. He said it was completely quiet and the prev. owner used that since day 1. would 10w30 do anything? Or would sticking with the 10w40 be ok? Or should he stay with the 5w30?

Ticking in LS motors is really common. If he had been running 40 weight since the truck was new then he would have never noticed there was a tick.

how many miles on it?I have a 2002 silverado with 155,000 and a 2011 with 44,000 on it,both used for towing on a daily basis and i only use 5w-30.if his truck has super high miles it the 40 weight may help with pressure but i always stick with the mfg specs.depending on your location the 30 weight is a better all around oil

Originally Posted By: J_ChevyMan
Has 140,000 on it. looks like he will have to replace the lifters.

"Usually" the lifters and push rods just need to be cleaned.

140k really isnt that bad.both of mine have a slight tick at start up but they have done that since new.run the 30 weight and and forget about the tick.as long as the truck runs good i wouldnt put the money in it (just my opinion)

I've got a 99 with 250k on the clock. It is relegated to winter use now that my Harley and mustang are around.
I've got a 5.3 in it. Mine would tick with mobil 1 in the crankcase,and was down a quart after 5000kms. Never happened with Amsoil or pennzoil.
Last spring I even tried out rotella t 15w-40 in it.

Try a different oil in it. These motors are pretty durable. I've abused mine to no end.

Bought my '03 Sierra new & has 183,000 on it. 5w-30 since new, Syn (Amsoil, PU the latest) since 63k.

Cold start tick, but could be the Exhaust Manifold ... Oil at full level even after 8k miles!

Somewhat normal, don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Cold start tick, but could be the Exhaust Manifold ... Oil at full level even after 8k miles!

x2 on the manifolds. I've replaced them on my 6.0 truck and so has my brother. they ALWAYS break off bolts too into the heads. I think they used cheap bolts. I'd check the exhaust, especially since it is a tick not going away; much more likely than lifter noise. (unless you have a stethoscope to listen for the lifters specifically).

Another thing to try: my brother's 6.0 silverado had lifter noise and he added a quart of ATF to the oil drove it for a few miles and then changed it. after he put new oil in the lifter noise was gone. because of the detergents in the ATF my brother figured it cleaned up the lifters..something low cost to try anyway...

even if you do nothing the ticking lifters will outlast most of the truck anyway. Drive it I say....

Should he run 5w30 or 10w30? Same all year round? Thanks for the advice. Yes he just switched to Mobil. You can clean up lifters? Thats a good idea? Is this fool proof or a possible fix/temp or a perm fix?

Last edited:
Mobil 1. There's the culprit. Every engine I have ever put mobil 1 into made more noise.
Try a different oil once this interval is up

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Mobil 1. There's the culprit. Every engine I have ever put mobil 1 into made more noise.
Try a different oil once this interval is up

Yep. Had M1 in my GTO from the PO and it had valve train noise. Took it out & put in Amsoil Z-rod and it was gone.

Flame away, but it's the truth.

the 5w will flow better at start up and protect the same at operating temp as the 10.Advantage 5w30.as far as cleaning the lifters...just run a couple short oci to help flush the engine naturally.I have had 4 full size chevy pickups over the years and all but my newer one has had many hard miles with no problems.the noise wouldnt bother me a bit as long as its running fine and it is lubricating fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back