Silverado 4.3 02 oil issue is killing me

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 SILVERADO 4.3 ext cab V6 143,000 Miles - Using PENZOIL Blended Synthetic from Jiffy Lube
* Previous Owner Die Hard Mobil1

I've been wanting to start modding my truck! but I can't until this issue is fixed... or I know more about it. In fact I am going to stop going to Jiffy Lube places and start changing the oil myself.

The previous of owner was a hardcore Mobil1 Full Synthetic fan. I bought it switched to PenZoil 5-30 Blended Synthetic. I bought the truck with 137K, changed the oil to PenZoil a few days after. Some from 137k to 141k I had a front seal leak, I fixed it. So after changing at 141k, I had a Check Engine Oil level light come on, oil was low, topped off, this was at 143k. I do notice some oil resdue/stains at the rear main seal.. but it looks small. There is no smoke either. In fact after cleaning engine and underneath I drove her around like crazy for two days and didn't notice much.

I love my truck, even if it's a V6 it's [censored], I come from a Ford V8 loving family. I gotta get this issue fixed. This is the first truck I bought on my own, and want to keep her going through my college years.

SO, Is it the oil? A friend of mine told me that Penzzoil once did this to them and too switch back to Mobil-1?

I've heard if you use PenzOil Ultra/Plat it cleans the engine and stops oil burning.
But.. I've also heard that Mobil 1 HIGH MILAGE Full Synthetic is a lot better and will prevent leaks... If I should siwtch Oils, should I use Penzoil Ultra/Plat *dexos approved or MOBIL 1 HIGH MILIAGE FULL SYNTHEITC * which doesn't have the dexos logo.

Please help me out here, this is killing me.

I'd stop going to the Jiffy Lube places and keep an eye on your oil level. Never let it get that low...

Your 2002 doesn't require a dexos certification, so use what you want.

I'd use Pennzoil HM if your leaks are enough to be dripping on the ground.

If not, try some PU 5w-30

And why not Mobil1 HM? just curious, I really want to try PPU/PU but the owner was a such a die hard Mobil1 dude last time I talked to him, is PPU/PU much better?

AND NO. the oil leaks aren't leaving stains in the driveway KNOCK ON WOOD

EDIT*** My main focus is to keep my baby running smooth and good with no issues. If there is an issue that does that then let me know! I've heard PU/PPU can prevent/stop an engine from burning oil because it cleans the o-rings

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
id try a non synthetic oil.those 4.3s will run forever on anything oily

+1

I had a 00' GMC with the 4.3 and it ran it's entire life on dino 5W-30 , it made it to 316k miles before it was stolen a few years ago.

Father has a 02 4.3 last time I checked 350k+ miles keep in mind this was many months ago. Dont see him a lot.

He does 5000 mile OCI on conv. Everything but the tranny is good.

Personally tho I would get some Valvoline MaxLife. If their was ever an oil that helped with oil leaks it would be MaxLife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Maxlife has helped us with any high mileage vehicle. It can indeed stop small leaks, plus it cleans very well...

What about oil consumption???

Rear main leaks are common on that engine - usually fixed by MaxLife or any other High Mileage 5W-30. M1 HM may even fix it if it isn't bad.

My company-owned work van is an '01 Safari with the 4.3. Currently has 118,000 miles worth of Jiffy Lube oil changes (Yes, I know, but the company makes us bring them there). Has a few things wrong with it, but oil leaking/consumption is not one of them.

Originally Posted By: TEXAS_MAN
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Maxlife has helped us with any high mileage vehicle. It can indeed stop small leaks, plus it cleans very well...

What about oil consumption???

Just depends on the cause. Minor leaks usually stop, and if you are burning oil it can free the rings up and help there, too. Might take up to 2 OCI's or so to see results, but it almost always helps an engine in basically ok shape...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back