Silkolene Pro - S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as how this forum has been kinda slow lately I thought I would stir the pot some.

I recently found Silkolene Pro - S. Silkolene Shop Looks to be most promising in 5W40 viscosity. This appears to be another outstanding oil from the Black Forest of Germany. I don't need any oil right away, thanks to a little Lubro Moly and a 32 quart stash of GC green. But that doesn't stop me from doing a little window shopping for my next oil.

Anyone have any experience with Silkolene?

The customer service guys at Silkolene Shop have been helpful with the requests for specs and questions I have asked them. Has anyone ordered from these guys?

Just curious.

I've had allot of computer time lately. I broke my ankle last week, had surgery on Monday and have been confined to either lie down or sit in my recliner with my right leg elevated. It leaves me with too much time to search the internet for new and exciting oil.

I think you'll find that oil is blended in the UK, even though Silkolene are now a part of Fuchs.

I've used their Pro RSF shock absorber/damper fluids for years, and they are probably the most widely used damper fluids in all forms of motorsport worldwide. Thier Pro RSF 5W has a VI of 370 !!
Motul are the only other blender I know of that has damper fluids with similar VI's.

Blended in the UK. I didn't know any oil was blended in the UK. That makes me like this oil even more............I'm a Land Rover driver. This oil would probably make my LR much happier than the German oil it's own now. The engine in my Rover has trouble understanding the german language spoken by the Elves.
grin.gif

Perhaps the English oil in an Eglish engine and everyone would be speaking the same language.
cool.gif

Thanks tdi-rick

Just out of curiosity, any oils blended down in Australia?

yep, the big four (Shell, Mobil, Caltex[Texaco] and BP all have refineries and blend the bulk of their lubricating oil here, as do Castrol (obviously BP now) and Fuchs. Then you have the smaller independents such as Penrite, Hi-Tech, etc who all blend here.

The UK has been blending oils for a while, think BP, Castrol, as well as the smaller players like Silkolene, etc.
wink.gif

And FWIW, the lubes used in Land Rover from the factory are UK blended Texaco brews. If you have a Disco with the ACE system, the only fluid approved is Texaco PAS 14315, blended in the UK.
A bit of trivia from a fellow Land Rover driver
wink.gif

I've used the ProS 5w/40, in Honda K20a engine, and it worked apparently well. I think it has a high percentage of esters in the base oil. A very persistent oil film: scientific test by rubbing between fingers!

Looks interesting, but I guess I'm too frugal to spend $10.72/quart on oil when GC gold can be had for $3.99 on sale. I don't think I'd really get any better performance over the GC, certainly not enough to justify the price gap between them. My $0.02

It might be worth it to try to refill my Landie with all UK blended fluids. Might work wonders on the Rover. I don't have the ACE system. I haven't tried to search for the LR approved fluids, I've been using the premium fluids I find around here and elsewhere on the internet. Thinking that any premium fluid would do the job. These LRs do seem picky with engine oils tough. What are/did you run in yours?

AndyH, you may be correct, but Silkolene is such a cool sounding name, I just gotta try some, and anyway nortones2 did a scientific test and pronounced it good.
cheers.gif

Most Silkolene oils are usually ester based.

offtopic.gif
I have a 300Tdi engine in my Defender and have nearly always run Delvac 1. The only
time without D1 was during an AR-X clean/rinse.
The R380 g/box currently has a 60/40 brew of Redline MTL/MT90, although previously I used Castrols excellent Syntrans 75W-85 (PAO/ester). The factory fill is Texaco's MTF94, which is also a very good oil, but doesn't last as long as Syntrans or MTL as it has some VII's in it.
The T/case, Castrol Multitrax 75W-90 GL5 (it has a bad input shaft seal leak, so no expensive synthetic) the rear Salisbury diff (Landy's version of a Dana 60), Castrol SAF-XA 75W-140(PAO/ester) and the front Rover diff Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 (PAO/ester).
I was running the Caltex/Texaco PAS 14315 in the power steering and it works very well, (it's a green colour, just like GC) especially when cold. I replaced it for summer here with Castrol Transmax Z (PAO/ester, also green !), which should give me a small margin in hot off road stuff, but isn't quite as nice when it's cold out.
The rear wheel bearings are diff lubed by removing the inner axle seals and using an early model Defender hub seal. This stops the problem that post '93 Defenders have of chopping out drive flange splines and virtually eliminates water ingress during creek/river crossings thanks to the much better seal design.

Thanks tdi-rick, sounds like your Rover is covered pretty well. My list is much shorter: Lubro Moly 75W90 in diffs and t-case, Redline 5W40 in engine, Redline D4 in trans and Redline in power steering.

MGBV8, which F1 team? I love F1. I recently visited all the teams websites trying to get a new eye on changes for the 2006 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back