Silkolene 5W-40, 13500 miles on '90 Accord, 5600 miles on '85 BMW 318 track car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about oil analysis, and this is my first attempt. I was curious how this Silkolene, Pro S, 100% synth, 5W-40 was treating my cars. Tech data:

http://silkoleneshop.com/products/oil/engine/15250005.html

First column is for an '85 BMW 318 with a freshly rebuilt block. Bumped compression, advanced timing, premium fuel, K&N cone filter, Mann oil filters, maybe a half quart of makeup oil. It sees some highway miles as a daily commuter and a handful of NASA track events. This was its first run of synthetic after completing the break in period, ~7500 miles on the rebuilt engine, 5600 miles and two track events on this oil sample.

Second column is my wife's '90 Honda Accord. Regular fuel, K&N air filter, OE Honda oil filters, 1-2 quarts of makeup oil. Mixed use, errand car, long trips from GA to VA about once every two months. 160000 miles on the engine, 13600 miles on this sample with one filter change about midway.

I didn't do a virgin sample, although this guy did:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000950#000000

Very basic analysis done by Fleetguard, unfortunatly no viscosity tests:

Aluminum 7 3
Chromium 4 0 Iron 29 19
Copper 9 3
Lead 13 54 Tin 3 3
Molybdenum 6 5
Nickel 0 0
Manganese 1 0
Silver 9 15
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 1 0
Boron 326 125
Silicon 9 15
Soduim 9 2
Calcium 2674 3117
Magnesium 27 24
Phosphorus 933 1082
Zinc 1002 1172
Barium 1 0

Both samples also showed:
Fuel 0.5
Water 0.0

From what I understand, both seem ok on their oil drain intervals? I might push the Accord to 15k next time. Maybe further on the 318 as well?

[ January 13, 2006, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: ecpreston ]

My only concern would be the Honda Lead. Seems like great results otherwise for the oil. I would guess if this is the first synthetic oil change it would be cleanning up the Honda and would be lower on the next change. Don't think it is the gas although some in Georiga have been getting very high lead numbers and thinking they may be getting leaded fuel.

well.... the Honda's actually been running synth for its last few changes. At what point would you consider that number too high? Maybe I'll shoot for 12-13k again and see if it's the same since the rest of the #'s seem ok?

Lead on honda is high. Usually you might see around .5 ppm per 1000 miles or so. So judged by numbers we normally see its way high. But that doesn;t mean that necessarily there is a problem. If that were my car I would do no more than 7K miles or so or more than 6 months and samle again.

ok good to know. Is there a list somewhere of what "acceptable" values are for all the particulates? Any way of determining if it's from the fuel, or would I just have to run premium for a while?

regular has not had lead in it for many years. it's not the fuel.

if you want to see some baselines, search this forum for cars like yours.

ok, so can regular fuel contain lead or not? I only got the notion from the "What is Oil Analysis" link from this homepage, is that not true anymore?

No, it is totally illegal to put lead in fuel marked "unleaded regular" at the pump. During and after Katrina, however, there were rumors that leaded gasoline was being sold illegally around the Atlanta area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back