silicone spray on epdm rubber

Hey Yall

I have a chirp on a fairly new Dayco belt - just out of 12 month warranty. Only has 15k kms on the belt.
Only chirps when cold.
If I spray some silicone to quiet the belt will the silicone damage the epdm rubber?

Thanks

It shouldn't? There's a few members here that have reported success spraying silicone on belts. I have used 303 because I feel it is safer - water based with no solvents. It seems counter intuitive to spray a slippery lubricant on belts, but in my opinion it conditions the rubber to make it a bit more grip-pier.

The chirp is a symptom that something is not right with your belt system, so I contend that this application is a band aid until you can resolve any issues. Maybe your tensioner is on the way out? I just replaced all of my serpentine belt components after I had a mild winter chirp develop and it resolved the issue.

Hey Yall

I have a chirp on a fairly new Dayco belt - just out of 12 month warranty. Only has 15k kms on the belt.
Only chirps when cold.
If I spray some silicone to quiet the belt will the silicone damage the epdm rubber?

Thanks
That likely will help temporarily before the silicone makes the noise worse. I wouldn't spray it. Live with it or replace the belt.

Hey Yall

Only chirps when cold.

Thanks

The 303 Protectant stuff has worked to quiet down a chirping belt for me. I applied it a couple of times, if the chirp returns, and it solves the issue. Simple solution.

It has always been my understanding the belt noise is due to improper tension - usually too loose.

To answer your question though, silicone is safe on most all rubber materials, including EPDM.

Here is the kicker.
All components and belt are new.
Replaced last summer
Maybe try another belt? Watch your tensioner with engine running to make sure it is working correct (Youtube). I use a Dayco belt on my workplace generator with success (OEM brand). However, for some unknown reason, Dayco does not get much support here at BITOG. So many of the pros here lament the poor quality of aftermarket parts that I spent a few extra dollars and installed OEM parts on my recent belt work. The MOPAR belt is made in Thailand, sigh.

Maybe try another belt? Watch your tensioner with engine running to make sure it is working correct (Youtube). I use a Dayco belt on my workplace generator with success (OEM brand). However, for some unknown reason, Dayco does not get much support here at BITOG. So many of the pros here lament the poor quality of aftermarket parts that I spent a few extra dollars and installed OEM parts on my recent belt work. The MOPAR belt is made in Thailand, sigh.
Thanks.
I have been watching the tensioner for the last few days - No jumping or jittering - - - everything is running smooth.
Its stumping me - - - I have read the chirps are usually from misaligned belt systems.
I don't have a laser but it all looks and tracks straight to me.

I will probably try a continental belt this time.

In the past I used nothing but gatorback belts - - - - those are extinct unfortunately.

Some of the Daycos have an embedded microfiber/something in the grooves that is meant to minimize if not eliminate noise... providing there isn't some other misalignment or tension issue.

less than 20,000 miles and you shouldn't have a problem with new parts. i like dayco belts, and use their timing belts

Thanks.
I have been watching the tensioner for the last few days - No jumping or jittering - - - everything is running smooth.
Its stumping me - - - I have read the chirps are usually from misaligned belt systems.
I don't have a laser but it all looks and tracks straight to me.

I will probably try a continental belt this time.

In the past I used nothing but gatorback belts - - - - those are extinct unfortunately.
Gatorback is now Continental. Same belt, different name.

I had an issue similar to this after installing a Gates kit (tensioners, idlers and belt) - I replaced the belt with a Dayco and noise went away and did not return.

Back