silicone oil instead of lube/grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

If I want to apply silicone to different parts of my car, without fear of hydrocarbon propellants, easy application, etc., would a silicon oil be acceptable?

I know that silicon oils are available in very pure grades as newtonian calibration fluids for rheometers. I don't know if there is a certain composition, type, etc. I assume that molecular weight would more or less determine how liquid vs solid it would be - as I recall, you can buy silicone oils from ISO 32 to some huge, high number.

So is there some sort of liquid or nearly liquid form of silicone that can be used? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

He hydrocarbons leach the plasticizers from the items they contact. This ultimately causes them to dry, crack or wear prematurely.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
He hydrocarbons leach the plasticizers from the items they contact. This ultimately causes them to dry, crack or wear prematurely.
Yeah but they do anyway but what does the stuff add back to the what ever the actual material you are putting the product on? Then what is the plastic made from?

it is irrelevant what the plastic is made from, as it has crosslinked and polymerized.

There are molecules that cause the polymers to "swell" and have flexibility and movement qualities for the application. These molecules are mobile and leached out. They will diffuse out naturally, but volatile hydrocarbons will accelerate this leaching.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So is there some sort of liquid or nearly liquid form of silicone that can be used? Any recommendations?

Copier fuser oil.

It's available in gallon jugs from some of the aftermarket copier parts suppliers.

Also works as a Rain-x replacement.
grin2.gif

The non metal parts on cars have many different compositions. Vinyls are thermoplastic and do have plasticizers that could be leatched. Rubbers are crosslinked and swell depending what solvents or oils put on them. So indiscriminate spraying of hydrocarbons is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back