Silicone ADBVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. I dunno
54.gif
I would tend to think not. My reasons are just swags ..but the curing process should be long over with by the time you're using the filter. Fresh sealant, OTOH, probably has ample opportunity to leach into the oil before the curing process is done.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Can they leach silicon into oil to elevate the Si reading in an UOA?

Just a tiny, tiny amount might leach. Cured silicone contains silicon to be sure, but it's part of the matrix and is not going anywhere.

But a tiny, tiny amount could alter the reading, right? After all, this thing gets flushed by hot oil all day long, and the reading unit is parts per million. Dirt from the intake, has to make it past the rings.

I started questioning this when I was trying to figure out why some engines have high silicon universal averages, like my 2AZFE. It is a choice of gasket materials in the engine? Or bad intake design.

It's a good question. Maybe run at least 5 UOA's with the same lot of oil (buy some cases together) with a Si ADBV, then 5 with a nitrile ADBV (same batch of oil). Start each one with a new air filter...or not....same driving conditions, etc. I do wonder if it would be detectable.

I was thinking crack open a bottle, pour it into a small glass jar, throw in a fresh ADBV. Heat it and cool it a few cycles, shake it, then send in a sample of the virgin oil and the ADBV bath oil and compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back