silicon and silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silicone is a synthetic product used in damping fluid, sealants, etc... while silicon is the element Si

SiO2 or silicon dioxide is sand.

Silicone is the stuff used in NuFinish, Liquid Glass, Finish 2001, RTV, etc... to give it that water beading power.

Wiper blades like Tripledge's blades use Jamak Silicone rubber. They used to use Dow Corning silicone but I believe there were problems with that material.

I've tested these blades to -5F and they work as if the temperature were 60F+.... they take snow, ice, and freezing temperatures w/o any problems.

Natural rubber can't go below 32F w/o running into problems.

Part of the problem IMHO is that the analysis done by the oil testers does not differentiate between the two types of silicon present. Thus, as in my fairly new silverado, a high silicon analysis is due to leaching from the sealing compound used in the engine assembly. From about 16K to 22K total miles it dropped in half. I hope to see it continue downward. I work for a company that makes release paper and film by applying organo-silicones to film or paper. All the stuff you peel off of bumper stickers, nicotine patches, paper labels, etc and throw away. Its low "energy" prevents it from locking up with the adhesive.

Is the element Si additized to motor oil as an anit-foaming agent? Particularily diesel rated oils that would be used in engines such as the Navistar/Ford Powerstroke, that uses the lube oil under high pressure to operate the hydraulically actuated electronically controlled unit injectors.

If not, what else is used?

Yes it is used as that as well. There are many sources. Could even in some cases be from the metallurgy. Problem is the Spectrograph cannot distinguish between a single one of them.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
yes, Silicone alloys are used where wear is expected.

And thus we come full circle to Pamela Anderson's breasts..
grin.gif
fruit.gif

[ February 28, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

Jason (and all) basically nailed it:

It's an elemental analysis for Si. So it's Si in Silicone and Si in any other compound, organic or inorganic.

Even some Al alloys have Si.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back