Silent recall on Goodyear F1 all seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this from my BMW forum.
Not really a recall but still important.

Saw on on another forum that there's a silent recall on Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires due to cupping, noise, and uneven wear issues. Tire Rack will give 100% credit towards a new set of Goodyear or Dunlop tires as well as up to $100 credit to cover shipping and installation. People who purchased the tires back in 2007 and 2008 are getting the credit -- don't know if it also applies to people who purchased their tires this year since the manufacturing problem may have been corrected. Also, I saw that Goodyear is honoring the recall if you purchased the tires through someone other than Tire Rack, but you need to call them directly and complain.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your call and for placing a new order today.

Under a special accommodation from Goodyear, the Eagle F1 All Season tires you purchased from the Tire Rack in November 2007 are returnable for full credit.

· Purchase eligible replacement tires in the Goodyear Eagle tire line from the Tire Rack
· Tread depth of the original tires must be 2/32” or above
· Please provide the VIN# from the vehicle the tires were installed on.
· They cannot have any damage from mounting or dismounting
· Original tires must be returned at your expense to:

The Tire Rack
RA# xxxxx
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628

Sounds less like a recall and more like a tire rack-brokered customer service deal.

That's not a recall, that's a customer satisfaction campaign...

When Firestone tires delaminate and fall apart, now THAT's a recall.

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
When a company asks for its product back because of a defect, it's a recall.

I disagree.

Is the NHTSA involved in this?
Is it some sort of a safety issue?
Does the tire have a propensity to fail unexpectedly, or have a high rate of failure?

I have an e-mail in to Goodyear now. I have a set of these purchased from a local dealer. They mentioned nothing of it when I went in today for a slow leak check.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
When a company asks for its product back because of a defect, it's a recall.

I disagree.

Is the NHTSA involved in this?
Is it some sort of a safety issue?
Does the tire have a propensity to fail unexpectedly, or have a high rate of failure?

NHTSA doesn't have to be involved for a mfg recall.
There are other recalls besides safety issues.
Recall Definition

According to Goodyear, there is no recall in place. They referred me to Tire Rack. This may just be something that TR is doing.

I recall (
whistle.gif
) a few posts on the Legacy and Subaru forums where several owners got premature and uneven wear on these tires. Enough people complained that Goodyear started buying back the tires for those who pressed the issue. I only assume Tire Rack took this to a more proactive level.

So don't call it a recall. It's a semi-secret customer satisfaction enhancement program where the manufacturer is willing to buy back its product because it sucks.

I'll beg to differ on "it sucks". Those tires may just not suit those particular cars for whatever reason. I have a set on my Toyota Matrix and they are wearing just fine, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back