Sign waiver for transmission fluid change?

I took my car to a shop to get a quote on a transmission fluid and filter change. They were very nice, and had a clean shop.

When the tech drove my car and he said that he wouldn’t recommend a transmission fluid change due to the hard downshift. I wasn’t in the car with him.

They said I would need to sign a waiver that if the transmission breaks after they change the fluid, they wouldn’t be responsible.

2009 BMW 328, 127k miles.

Should I sign the waiver, or take it somewhere else?

Firestone had me sign a waiver before they would exchange the fluid on my 2011 Kia Soul a few years ago when it had only 80k or so miles on it. I signed it and everything was fine. I guess it’s just to cover their butt if something went wrong. Although last year with around 130k on it they flat out refused to do it. 🤷‍♂️

Depends on how you feel about it. They're obviously looking out for their own best interest which is protecting themselves from customers who attempt to dump a failing unit on their shoulders. After all, technically you're going against their recommendation.

Personally I would be okay with it IF it was a Euro/BMW shop, and I could verify they used the correct amount of fluid and performed the re-learn procedure. IIRC the 6HP has a specific sequence.

Depends on how you feel about it. They're obviously looking out for their own best interest which is protecting themselves from customers who attempt to dump a failing unit on their shoulders. After all, technically you're going against their recommendation.

Personally I would be okay with it IF it was a Euro/BMW shop, and I could verify they used the correct amount of fluid and performed the re-learn procedure. IIRC the 6HP has a specific sequence.
Being a 328 he likely has the GM 6L45

Chances of transmission having issues after tx fluid change are proportionate to the mileage first such change is done at. The higher the mileage the higher the chances.
This is why I change ATF first time at or before 30k miles, full volume replacement, then D/Fs after that every 30k miles.

I took my car to a shop to get a quote on a transmission fluid and filter change. They were very nice, and had a clean shop.

When the tech drove my car and he said that he wouldn’t recommend a transmission fluid change due to the hard downshift. I wasn’t in the car with him.

They said I would need to sign a waiver that if the transmission breaks after they change the fluid, they wouldn’t be responsible.

2009 BMW 328, 127k miles.

Should I sign the waiver, or take it somewhere else?
They probably don't have THE proper fluid and want to protect themselves in case of break-downs.
If anything a fluid change with the correct fluid should solve the hard shifting.
Now why are you going to change the ATF so late?
Is it because you're having problems?
Is this the 1st or 2nd ATF change.
If 1st just do drop & fill.
Whatever you do have it done by a shop that KNOWS BMWs.

Was price mentioned?
Obviously, if a Mom & Pop shop charges something reasonable, you can decide if you want to deal with that condition.

Do you even know what fluid it takes? You have to know that in order to converse with anybody. Also, you want to know beforehand in case you want to offer to supply the fluid.

EX: If they say, "It don't mattah, they all take the same stuff", and you know better, you leave with confidence.

Have you surveyed any BMW sites for trends/facts/myths and foibles of your car?

Hey, once, a guy at a quick lube joint told me that there were no differences in transmission fluid. What a bozo he was.

Waivers aside, has this transmission fluid ever been changed?

If it hasn't, on a 14yr/old vehicle with ~127K miles, a fluid change is likely not going to fix anything.

Waivers aside, has this transmission fluid ever been changed?

If it hasn't, on a 14yr/old vehicle with ~127K miles, a fluid change is likely not going to fix anything.
I've personally had fluid changes improve shifting on these transmissions. Notice how I mentioned fluid changes and not a flush, never do a power flush on a transmission with this mileage, but new fluid will never hurt anything.

I've personally had fluid changes improve shifting on these transmissions. Notice how I mentioned fluid changes and not a flush, never do a power flush on a transmission with this mileage, but new fluid will never hurt anything.
I get that and I know from experience new fluid won't hurt a thing. I just don't want the OP to assume new fluid will fix a potential mechanical and/or wear problem.

The OP didn't mention whether or not he even feels the hard downshift the tech said he experienced on the test drive.
We don't know the OP's trans-savvy etc.
We need to know more.

I worked with a little man who was well-to-do and loved to buy new cars and tire of them.
The 320i he got bored of was suckulently priced, however, its sunroof encroached on the vehicles headroom so much I couldn't fit behind the wheel.
I considered having a few neck vertebrea removed but decided against it.

FWIW, we have a 2011 BMW E90 328i with the auto transmission. It's a GM unit. I dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluids at 25K miles, a drain and refill at 50K and 75K (no pan drop), and then another pan drop with fluid and filter change at 95K miles. Trans works as good as new.

Here is a picture of the 95K mile pan drop. No varnish or other crud.

Scott

IMG_3376.jpeg
IMG_3377.jpeg

Back