Sick of consuming synthetic oil, thinking about switching back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

It might be hard to believe that Hondas consume synthetic oil faster than regular oil, but you can ask any Honda owner and you'll get your answer. It IS true.

Actually...it's not!

Being a present/past owner of numerous Honda/Acura cars, I have to disagree. My high mileage (350 000 KM )Integra uses about a liter of M1 0W40 every 10 000 Km (6000 m). Acceptable, given the mileage. My Civic EX uses very little (MAYBE 1/4 to 1/2 a liter per 10 000 KM)) of M1 10W30.

My friends Prelude DOES use more oil; the H22 etc. engines seem to consume more oil. He finds that thicker equals less consumption...he adds a liter about every 5000km (3000m). Does synthetic make a difference...NO! Does viscosity... YES!!!

Does his engine run good? Absolutely! Leak-down was good, mileage is decent. He just accepts the fact that the engine uses some oil...so be it!

My experience with oil burners is that the correct viscosity (a bit heavier in my V8 cars) and synthetic oil was that consumption stabilized at a lower point; a predictable one that did not change for over 100k.

1977 Chev 350 with #7 cylinder near dead at 112k; changed to M1 15W-50 after years of 3-mos/3000 with 10W-40, drove another nine years and easily passed emissions thru 240k without convertor. Kept all other maintenance up to new-car standards, too. Switched spark plug brand (Bosch Plat vs AC) and only had to change that plug and others at 15-17k versus 5-7k on #7 and 12-15k on others.

I'd go with what Terry says. Just clean 'er out and keep going.

I found the cost of adding a quart of synthetic vs dino in between-change intervals to be negligible. Especially as consumption had dropped.

Guys, before I came here, I hung out at Honda-Acura.net and Honda-Tech.com and certain year Preludes came with a certain style of piston rings and these things are oil guzzlers.

You can't compare these 'ludes to others Hondas, though, which consume extraordinarily little oil.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
-*-*-*It must be true. Friend of mine, doing courier runs in the DC area, found that byt he time he got 300,000 on his Honda, he was starting to use a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles. And he got new car fever and turned it in after 12 oil changes!

A friend of mine is up to about ???- think it's
1/4 - 1/2 quart at 275K on his Honda.

Me my truck has always burned about a quart every 3K)... except Straight weight (4-6 ounces). I am doing an experiment with two OCI's (now the second) of a regular SL multi, then this one I threw some extra junk in there just to fool around, and after this I will go to a HIGH MOLY milti several OCI's and if she keeps burning I'll go back to the straight.

Some cars just dont like some oils, it's as simple as that. and unless you are going to mix that oil or modify it in some way, it will always produce the same results. This may not be the oil for this car. OR you may need to mix a straight or another multi in with it. Try to mix one heavy say 15w-40/50 in with the rest 10w-30, if this don't help at all well you tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back