Shut off power to your circulating pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this:
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/maintena...xml&month=April

Do you guys follow this advice? Being a new home owner, I never had to deal with it before. And even now, I am not sure if my water heater has such a circulating pump...

Why would you want to shut this pump off for the summer? Doesn't the boiler still need to cool the heat exchanger during summer?

The heater I have is this one:
http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/shared/pdfs/specsheets/251-B.pdf

The owner's manual doesn't say anything about a recirculating pump. It runs on natural gas, but is plugged into the power outlet - I think the blower fan uses it.

I think you are looking at the domestic hot water section of a forced hot water style whole house heater in the first article.

I don't even see the summer/winter hook up (for domestic hot water) in the first document.

Many residential boilers use one heat exchanger, and merely circulate that to a holding tank for hot water. They may also, depending on the mass involved, and the likely sensible demand, run just a coil inside the water jacket of the boiler.

Your unit appears to be a free standing, directly fired, gas hot water heater.

There's nothing to do to it ...except maybe shut off the gas supply if you're going on vacation.

Turn on your heat then go downstairs and see what's making noise. My folks had gas hot air heat and a separate water heater they leased from the gas co.

Generally the "whole house" systems have a small, always warm "box" with several coils in it, when that box gets cold the fire kicks in. Turn up the thermostat, the circ pump runs, then ~30 sec later the fire kicks on. Run some water, the fire kicks on.

Yeah. I can't figure a circulation pump coming on without a remote signal from a thermostat.

I guess if you shut the boiler down with the 'circ pump enabled/powered, and the thermostat dipped below setpoint, that it would run the pump. The whole arrangement should have one single disconnect.

A natural gas fueled water heater is not a boiler so it does not apply.

The bradfordwhite unit in the link has a blower motor for exhaust fumes and the igniter and thermostat would all be energized. boiler or water heater

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yeah. I can't figure a circulation pump coming on without a remote signal from a thermostat.

All I can figure is that might happen if the circulation pump relay were to go bad and someone just wired the pump to run all the time. The one I saw, the relay was part of the control and not separately replaceable...so the best fix was to add a separate relay to control the circulation pump. The original relay was wired in parallel with the gas valve. So the replacement relay was wired the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back