ShurTrax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think securing it is the selling point. I've seen (after the fact) sand bags come through the back window before...and there is not really a good way to secure them in when you consider the violence of a collision. This device is easily attached to the bed hooks.
I was thinking about building a frame with lid for sand bags that I could also hook into the bed, but another selling point for this product is that it would be easy to store during the warm seasons.
Maybe it's not worth it, just wanting to see if anyone has tried it before.

When it's being called for: I can still take away of doughnut spare and seat the sandbags into the spare wheel well and they would go nowhere (except rollovers).

I don't drive with all-seasons anymore, and traction is now a paramount for me during winter driving. Snowtires and/or all-weather tires is the only way to go.

(and you do not need extra sandbag with those traction tires)

Q.

Good point about the spare tire. I might even be able to add some weight in that area under my pickup.

I bought one on clearance for $29.
It is a great concept except it is a PITA to fill up with water and a PITA to drain.
Sandbags are much easier to work with and just as effective.

Looks like it is designed for someone who wants to have a cleaner look to the bed, in which case it might be worth the price to some. At that $29 price Tdbo got one, that makes it worth the price.

I have the full size truck one. I like it, take it up north when I go in feb. Makes my hd ride smoother and supports a good amount of weight on top of it.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
I have the full size truck one. I like it, take it up north when I go in feb. Makes my hd ride smoother and supports a good amount of weight on top of it.

JD4440--Thanks for the feedback!

Tdbo, where did you find it on clearance? I've only seen them direct purchase or Amazon.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Originally Posted By: JD4440

JD4440--Thanks for the feedback!

Tdbo, where did you find it on clearance? I've only seen them direct purchase or Amazon.

Bought mine at The Andersons on Sawmill Rd. in Columbus. They were discontinuing them and they had several left, so I bought one out of morbid curiosity. Used it for three years in both my former 2004 Ranger and the 03 I have now. Filled up, it took a lot of room in the bed. After the third year, I said forget it and went back to the sandbags. Much easier to deal with.

Conceptually it is fine. When I drove a 4x2, I once filled up the bed with sand and salt for a driveway before a snow storm. I liked the results so much I left it there until the snow melted, minus what I had to use for sidewalks.

As for coming through the rear window, any collision that would bend the bed the 2.5 feet necessary to lift sandbags up to window level would be a greater concern then the sand. Ditto any attempt at creative physics cliff jumping and crashing required to drop the truck enough (but not the sandbags?) to receive the sandbags through the rear window. I'm simply not worried about that.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

As for coming through the rear window, any collision that would bend the bed the 2.5 feet necessary to lift sandbags up to window level would be a greater concern then the sand. Ditto any attempt at creative physics cliff jumping and crashing required to drop the truck enough (but not the sandbags?) to receive the sandbags through the rear window.

I don't see it like that. Anytime forward momentum is quickly stopped/slowed down in a vehicle, the rear and/or anything in it rises as it comes forward. No need for the bed to "bend" to launch sandbags upward, just as there is no need for the rear of a vehicle to bend up to launch adults in the backseat through the windshield if not buckled.
There are plenty of collisions (front of a forward moving vehicle) where a seatbelt would prevent serious injury, yet be plenty forceful to launch a 100lb sand bag up and forward...just as it would have done the 200lb driver had he not been buckled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back