SHTF - Prepper - Oil Stash

Ok... here's a game we can play..... Pretend you are 30 days away from TEOTWAWKI....

"The end.... as we know it". In other words, collapse of supply chain and our nation in disarray and store shelves empty for months, maybe years. But, gas and diesel are still.... somehow..... being delivered in rare quantity and heck, it might even be $10 or $20 a gallon. Regardless, all your vehicles are running and you are keeping them maintained... and you must commute for the job you have. There is simply no motor oil and no forecast as too when it might be available. But... 30 days ago, you ordered 20 gallons of the only oil you could find.... but it was the oil of your choice.

You own five vehicles......

1. Diesel Pickup
2. Gas Suburban
3. Honda Sedan
4. Motorcycle
5. Diesel Tractor - Necessary for your garden

Once again... you can oil buy one brand and type/weight of oil, 20 gallons minimum....... and you only have $500 to spend on it.

What would you buy?

Wet clutch motorcycle? If so Rotella T6 multi vehicle 5w30 is rated for JASO DH2 and would work in everything.

Wet clutch motorcycle? If so Rotella T6 multi vehicle 5w30 is rated for JASO DH2 and would work in everything.

Well... a common mis-perception... JASO DH-2 has nothing to do with a clutch... It has all to do with emissions.

JASO DH-2: A low sulphated ash oil designed for the lubrication of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, particularly when equipped with exhaust after treatment devices.

JASO MA... is the Clutch Spec.

But.... I like your suggestion, entry into the competition for the one and only.. best oil ever... for everything competition. hahahhaha I just wish you could find that oil for less than $30 a gallon... so on price alone... your entry is KICK OUT!

I'd buy the cheapest API certified and make my $500 get me the benefit of more oil changes. Truth be known I wouldn't buy any I'd use the 200-300 quarts I have in the garage and buy more non perishable food.

in reality you wont ever find enough fuel to be able to drive or run it enough to be concerned about changing the oil even if it was the cheapest stuff at apocalyptic wallys.

assuming the engines dont burn id just throw in automatic trans fluid since a kv100 of like 7 is gonna give the best mpg and you wont live long enough for it to have its longevity affected anyway.

Well, once I got through the 33 gallons I already have in the garage, I would find the cheapest 15w-40 synthetic (maybe synthetic blend) HDEO I could find.

None of my motors are all that picky on oil, and neither am I, but having a wet clutch motorcycle, I would prefer some type of 40 weight oil.
If there was a 10w-30 HDEO I would take that as well for all my vehicles.

I like a good realistic scenario but this one is just too far fetched to even comprehend. Why are you limited to have invested in only 1 oil? How is gasoline available but oil not?

Consider in 1 year, a car needs ~5-10 qts. (1-3 gallons or so), but hundreds or thousands of gallons of gasoline. So as a quantity, and cost, the oil represents almost nothing. A typical person could store 5 gallons of oil per car and be set for a couple years. So factoring that, get oil today for each car for 3 years and be done with it. But fuel is the weak point and it's hard and dangerous to store in any significant amount.

I have thousands of quarts now, but am paring it down to about 10-20 years worth of oil for each car and selling off the rest. Not because I think it won't be available, but I do think it will only go up in price and view it as a commodity. A 10-20 year supply per vehicle is my comfort level.

I like a good realistic scenario but this one is just too far fetched to even comprehend. Why are you limited to have invested in only 1 oil? How is gasoline available but oil not?

Consider in 1 year, a car needs ~5-10 qts. (1-3 gallons or so), but hundreds or thousands of gallons of gasoline. So as a quantity, and cost, the oil represents almost nothing. A typical person could store 5 gallons of oil per car and be set for a couple years. So factoring that, get oil today for each car for 3 years and be done with it. But fuel is the weak point and it's hard and dangerous to store in any significant amount.

I have thousands of quarts now, but am paring it down to about 10-20 years worth of oil for each car and selling off the rest. Not because I think it won't be available, but I do think it will only go up in price and view it as a commodity. A 10-20 year supply per vehicle is my comfort level.
Its just a hypothetical question. Ignore the nuke that took out NY city as well.

It would be a 15w-40 or 5w-40 for me. Either one would suffice

iu

Its just a hypothetical question. Ignore the nuke that took out NY city as well.

It would be a 15w-40 or 5w-40 for me. Either one would suffice

Exactly... why is this so hard to understand.... It's a flippin game.

I have a bunch of RT6 that I bought for $1 / qt. I don't use it in anything but it's nice to have around.

It's a pretty universial oil. There's a few other dual rated 5w-40s that aren't bad to have around.

For three months now, both our local WalMarts have nearly nothing on the HDEO shelves, besides their Super Tech stuff. T5 10w30 is a unicorn in my geography, and I haven't seen T6 5w40 available for weeks and weeks. Auto parts stores have their oil priced, sky-rocket high and no sales..... The only optimism in shopping for oil is Tractor Supply... as their prices are great, but they are struggling with inventory.

Online I ordered the following the past month....

8 gallons of T6 5w40 .... For my EcoDiesel
4 gallons of T6 15w40... For my bikes
5 gallons of Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 for the Mercedes BlueTec

And just for some cushion and peace of mind.... 24 gallons of 15w40 Super Tech, that I could use in everything if supply evaporates. I got it for $9.50 a gallon or $2.37 a quart. This oil will make my bikes and my tractor happy and I can certainly use it in the diesels and the gassers in a pinch.

I also ordered 6+ filters for everything I own.

Back