Shreveport GM plant closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew it was too good to be true. Yesterday, workers at the GM plant here that produces Colorados/Canyons, and Hummer H3s were called in to "discuss the latest buyout offer." Instead, they were treated to a DVD announcing the plant was closing. Too nice.

I have friends there, yeah that sucks. The Delaware plant is closing too. They build the Pontiac Soltice and Saturn Sky so I guess with those brands on the out it was an easy move.

I thought that the agreement with China to buy Hummer included them continuing to produce it in America...so why close a plant that does that?

In included production through 2010. I believe they said that they'd phase out production of the Colorado/Canyon by 2012. I would have thought that a small truck might help them with CAFE...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I knew it was too good to be true. Yesterday, workers at the GM plant here that produces Colorados/Canyons, and Hummer H3s were called in to "discuss the latest buyout offer." Instead, they were treated to a DVD announcing the plant was closing. Too nice.

They were fools not to take the buyout. They worked at a plant that didn't make fuel efficient vehicles. first to be on the chopping block.

Well, wouldn't you think there would be a niche for a small truck with high fuel prices? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to come out with an XFE version of a Colorado.

Around here, they call it a strategic staffing meeting--same thing happens all over the country---sometimes there is no "nice" way to do things
Steve

Well, I saw a bit more info on it this AM. Apprently, they DID actually offer some employees a buyout yesterday. So at least it wasn't a total ambush. I think I see why this happened the way it did. A few weeks ago, I was reading on TTAC that the Shreveport Plant, along with one in Deleware, the old Saturn plant in Springhill TN, and the Orion MI plant were in the running to make the next GM subcompact. I THOUGHT Shreveport was a lock since I'd read that those plants were already being considered for closing. But yesterday GM also annouced that the Orion plant was going to make the new subcompact. The plant will close by 2012 if nothing changes. Production of the H3 is actually supposed to ramp up a bit. But that's only through 2010.

This is hope & change...
smirk2.gif

I have to laugh when people still refer to the old General Motors as "GM".
LOL.gif
They are not General Motors any longer and will not be until the US government is out of the picture. They will produce what the auto task force wants produced and BTW, of all of the members of the US auto task force...only 1 drives a car made by the "Detroit 3". The old "GM" is gone forever. Too bad.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Well, wouldn't you think there would be a niche for a small truck with high fuel prices? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to come out with an XFE version of a Colorado.

Fuel effecient pickup truck? They all get longitudinal drivetrains and bodies that are not aerodynamic. Getting more MPG can't be easy.

Where are the small diesels? That would do a great deal of good for MPG.

My point is, they already came out with XFE versions of the Silverado and Cobalt. There were no aerodynamic changes, just engine tuning.

FWIW I have a Colorado 4 cyl and it doesn't get much better gas mileage than the Silverado 4.3. Still a shame about more US workers getting canned.

^^^^
They will just have to find another line of work (no pun intended).

Even if GM built XFE trucks, would there be any demand for them ?

I would agree that the days of a pickup in every driveway will wind down from here on. Tradesmen will be the only purchasers. With all these plant closings it would seem that the scarcity of oil is now upon the manufacturers and they're scrambling? Fuel efficient vehicles only need apply. To me anyways it would be foolish to look at a new vehicle that got less than 25 mpg.

Scarcity of oil? Last time I checked weren't there companies leasing tankers to store all the oil they weren't distributing? GMs got plenty of fuel efficient vehicles. GM's problem was the big vehicles were the only ones they could make a profit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back