Shower Faucet Repair - Help

Wife was showering and said water wouldn’t turn off. I tried the handle and it felt odd. Disassembled and found the handle broken (plastic piece the slips over valve had broken). I turned the valve with pliers to shut water of and went out and bought a replacement handle. After installing the handle the faucet feels very difficult to turn - almost to the point where I felt like the new handle would break.
Is it possible the cartridge is binding up if it’s hard to turn? Should I buy a new cartridge?

Also - there is a white plastic insert behind the tile wall that holds the valve assembly in place. This plastic insert extends over the retaining clip of the cartridge. I cannot figure out how to remove the white plastic piece to gain access. Any ideas?

It’s a moen faucet from early 2000s. Plumbing is not my forte. I’m an electrical guy…

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 363F472A-90E2-4F0E-9D1D-A4D87B2F8951.jpeg
    363F472A-90E2-4F0E-9D1D-A4D87B2F8951.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 692E7590-5EA6-4745-BD97-AC15484BD034.jpeg
    692E7590-5EA6-4745-BD97-AC15484BD034.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 84
Had the same problem with my Moen single handle faucet. Needs a new cartridge around $75 and 15 minutes of your time. Youtube the process to remove and replace the cartridge. The new cartridge comes with a plastic piece, that makes it easier to remove. You use a wrench to wiggle the cartridge back and forth to loosen it up, to pull out. You lubricate the new cartridge with the enclosed grease pack and push the new cartridge back in and replace the handle. You can get a new cartridge from your local plumbing supply store. I've never seen the cartridge sold in a Home Depot or Lowes.

Had the same problem with my Moen single handle faucet. Needs a new cartridge around $75 and 15 minutes of your time. Youtube the process to remove and replace the cartridge. The new cartridge comes with a plastic piece, that makes it easier to remove. You use a wrench to wiggle the cartridge back and forth to loosen it up, to pull out. You lubricate the new cartridge with the enclosed grease pack and push the new cartridge back in and replace the handle. You can get a new cartridge from your local plumbing supply store. I've never seen the cartridge sold in a Home Depot or Lowes.
Thanks. I think you are correct on the cartridge. The other shower we have has same faucet and it’s easy to turn the handle.

Unfortunately I can’t see the model # of the cartridge because the retaining clip blocks the model # and I can’t remove the copper retaining clip because it pulls straight up and there’s that white plastic assembly there and it extends above the retaining clip. Basically I need to remove that white plastic piece somehow.

Been looking to try and find a YouTube video on how to remove it.

The unit should have had the white plastic removed before completion. The white plastic is a guide for where to put the tile. You have a bit of a mess there.

Unfortunately I can’t see the model # of the cartridge
Look on the back of the trim cover you've removed ? Moen actually uses a small number of cartridges, i.e. a single handle faucet uses a # 1225 (or similar), so at least there's not dozens of choices. Being ~20 years old doesn't make it worse either.

The unit should have had the white plastic removed before completion. The white plastic is a guide for where to put the tile. You have a bit of a mess there.

Its pretty chintzy. Can I just break it and remove it? I noticed it has some spots for screws and the screws weren’t installed.
The plastic guide does seem to be keeping the plumbing from jutting out too far out of the wall so not sure I can remove it.

That white plastic part is called a thin wall ground or plaster ground. It is designed to provide support on walls less than 1/4 Inch thick and/or plumbing valves that are not adequately clamped down.

Shower and tub valves are "supposed" to have an access panel from behind to deal with this challenge. I don't have personal experience with your installation, but if no back access is available, plumbers cut a notch in the plastic just big enough to get the retaining clip out as discussed in these links:

It seems that your valve may be recessed more than it is supposed to be, because the removal clip is supposed to still be accessible with the plastic plate in place as also discussed and shown in this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/moen-posi-temp-valve-uses-no-backing-board.63709/

Good luck in your challenge! More education here:

EDITED SINCE YOUR LAST POST

Last edited:
That white plastic part is called a thin wall ground or plaster ground. It is designed to provide support on walls less than 1/4 Inch thick.

Shower and tub valves are "supposed" to have an access panel from behind to deal with this challenge. I don't have personal experience with your installation, but if no back access is available, plumbers cut a notch in the plastic just big enough to get the retaining clip out as discussed in these links:

It seems that your valve may be recessed more than it is supposed to be, because the removal clip is supposed to still be accessible with the plastic plate in place as also discussed and shown in this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/moen-posi-temp-valve-uses-no-backing-board.63709/

Good luck in your challenge! More education here:
Thanks for your detailed response!. I broke around the piece where the retaining clip was. I see now that the whole faucet pulls away loose from the wall without the plastic piece. Then I set it back in place. It’s missing screws so I may add this in so it’s connected properly to the plumbing in the back.

Last edited:
Don't forget Moen like many plumbing manufacturer has a lifetime warranty. You should at least call and get some backup parts.

I agree with Wolf359 with respect to contacting Moen about possible warranty coverage. Moen sent us a free replacement cartridge and a handle repair kit when our Moen kitchen faucet was in need of repair. Moreover, the customer service representative I spoke with was knowledgeable and extremely professional.

I bought an 8" brushed nickel Moen bathroom sink faucet set. Failed out of the box. Called the 800 number and that is when I learned about Moen's guarantee. I've been buying cartridges for the 2 Moen shower faucets . They only last 10 -12 yrs and are easy to replace. Next time one gets wonky, I'll call them :cool:

PS. vanity sinks come with either 4" or 8" OC faucet holes. Who knew? 8" spread is more $

Back