Show me your donuts!

Yes it is. But dayum, the glazed donuts taste exactly like Krispy Kreme donuts!
And, they are to me like crack is to a crack addict. :ROFLMAO: 😋
You got that right. Everyone I know except my parents like Dunkin Donuts better I always tell them they are crazy their donuts are always dry and no good. Can’t beat Krispy Kreme $7.99 a dozen either and you get the 7th dozen free if you sign up for the reward thing.

AutoMechanic, I'm going to get off subject here for this Q?
I notice that you live in Roanoke. Have you ever been to the site where the early Americans settled in the 1600's? I have always wanted to visit there. And, where the 13 colonies were first started (New England area).

AutoMechanic, I'm going to get off subject here for this Q?
I notice that you live in Roanoke. Have you ever been to the site where the early Americans settled in the 1600's? I have always wanted to visit there. And, where the 13 colonies were first started (New England area).
Yes I have been to that area of Virginia I believe it’s Jamestown they settled in. We actually went on a field trip to Jamestown, Yorktown and Colonial Williamsburg in 4th grade to learn about all of that stuff. Never been to the site in Massachusetts though.

Yes I have been to that area of Virginia I believe it’s Jamestown they settled in. We actually went on a field trip to Jamestown, Yorktown and Colonial Williamsburg in 4th grade to learn about all of that stuff. Never been to the site in Massachusetts though.
This is what I was talking about. I thought it was the 1600's. And, it's in NC. I thought the settlement of Roanoke was in VA.

To BlueOvalFitter: I'm a big one for traveling. If you have the flexibility, make any New England trip during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of October. That way you have the highest chance of seeing the Autumn colors.
Can't make the trip? Rent Hitchcock's "The Trouble with Harry".

Dunkin' Donuts: Overly dense and frequently made with odd tasting oils. DD always taste old. Thumbs down.
Krispy Kreme: Too light (nothin' there). No wonder they can charge less...little flour used. WAY overrated.
Tim Horton's: Can't remember. The employees were always so nice. Now TH owns Burger King.
Someone up there please tell Tim the croissants used in BK's breakfast offerings are made with rancid oil and taste truly bad.

Hot oil suit on.

Last edited:
DD are a step above terrible for taste. I will not buy them myself. If they are provided by someone else I'll eat one.

Grocery store chain Mariano's actually has great tasting donuts at a very reasonable price. 7.50 per dozen. They are double the size of DD. At roughly half the price. Made fresh daily. I typically get the to store at 630am right as the hot donuts are being removed from baking racks.... 👍

Dunkin' Donuts: Overly dense and frequently made with odd tasting oils. DD always taste old. Thumbs down.
They used to make them on site now they just have a central kitchen so they're not as fresh as they used to be. At least with Krispy Kreme, they make them right on site.

This thread actually inspired me to re-evaluate my taste buds. All of the Krispy Kreme praise and Dunkin bashing made me question everything. I'm a die-hard Dunkin fan. Specifically, their chocolate icing cannot be beat and their old fashioned is stellar when fresh. I do agree that if they are not fresh, they suck. I tried Krispy Kreme once many years ago and thought it was beyond disgusting. And no, I'm not some idiot hillbilly who drinks Bud Light. I enjoy fine cheeses, am a connoisseur of craft beer (aggressive IPAs are heavenly), and you won't catch me dead at McDonald's. I may have to try an independent place as well.

I'll report back with my findings. Just don't expect me to switch to PYB or orange cans because of peer pressure. Not happening...

This thread actually inspired me to re-evaluate my taste buds. All of the Krispy Kreme praise and Dunkin bashing made me question everything. I'm a die-hard Dunkin fan. Specifically, their chocolate icing cannot be beat and their old fashioned is stellar when fresh. I do agree that if they are not fresh, they suck. I tried Krispy Kreme once many years ago and thought it was beyond disgusting. And no, I'm not some idiot hillbilly who drinks Bud Light. I enjoy fine cheeses, am a connoisseur of craft beer (aggressive IPAs are heavenly), and you won't catch me dead at McDonald's. I may have to try an independent place as well.

I'll report back with my findings. Just don't expect me to switch to PYB or orange cans because of peer pressure. Not happening...
Just as a data point, McDonald's coffee is actually highly rated. I had a client who was drinking McDonald's coffee when he was buying his million dollar home. I point that out to a friend of mine who bought a 600k house who likes to go to Starbucks.

A local grocer actually makes pretty good donuts. Not outstanding. But pretty good. And easily better than Dunkin or Krispy Kreme.

When I lived in South Carolina almost 20 years ago, friends and coworkers would rave about how good Krispy Kreme donuts were. So one day when in Florence with my family, we stopped and got a dozen glazed, still hot. The way everyone said was the best. I couldn't have been much more disappointed. They were nothing special at all. And what is with the little baby size?

Based upon that experience, it was a long time before I tried Krispy Kreme again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. But a couple years ago my wife and I decided to give Krispy Kreme another try. Second verse, same as the first. Absolutely nothing special.

In the Jeff Foxworthy show, there was an episode where his tv wife tries Krispy Kreme for the first time. (IIRC, she was a "Yankee".) She was severely underwhelmed. Jeff could not wrap his mind around how she didn't instantly fall in love with them.

I found myself totally relating to her opinion.

So I will stick to the donuts at my local grocer.

But hey, can anyone out there tell me if Golden Glaze in Madisonville, KY still makes killer donuts?

Bhopkins,

Maybe you had a bad batch.

I love Krispy Kreme. The plain, simple ones just off the conveyor. I was working in Kansas City and took these two pictures. For me, this is simply incredible.

Attachments

• PXL_20201017_142321907.jpg
    PXL_20201017_142321907.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20201017_142116128.jpg
    PXL_20201017_142116128.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 4
Back