Shoulder popping/crunching

Status
Not open for further replies.
My body in general tends to crack a lot naturally and I rarely experience any pain associated with it. But with my shoulders, if I lift my arms up all the way and then rotate them back and then lower them I have 1-3 pops occur when I my arm is almost back down. It sometimes slightly hurts. Anyone know what this is/could be? I should also mention that I do bench press somewhat often, along with some running also. Anyone who has ideas please chime in! Thanks

It is likely an imbalance, and maybe even some scar tissue, in the muscles and connective tissues of your rotator cuff muscles.
First, if you're going to bench, do so with dumbbells. This will allow your shoulders freedom to rotate naturally as you extend the weight. Secondly, look up external abduction exercises and other rotator cuff strengthening. You can probably eliminate/reverse the issue with proper strengthening techniques.

Sounds like time to take a break from heavy lifting, and do some strengthening of the rotator cuff muscles. There are three, and one gets a good workout doing bench presses so the other two are likely behind.

PM me for a description of the exercises if you can't find them online.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds like time to take a break from heavy lifting, and do some strengthening of the rotator cuff muscles. There are three, and one gets a good workout doing bench presses so the other two are likely behind.

PM me for a description of the exercises if you can't find them online.

Actually, there are four rotator cuff muscles, but Kuato is exactly right about the rest. Very common for men to over-strengthen the forward "push" muscles and neglect the external abduction and other "pull" exercises. If you do a lot of desk or computer work, that just compounds the issue by always using your arms forward and not pulling. A quick Google search will offer a trove of good rotator cuff exercises.

Could be anything. I have arthritis in my left shoulder, so the burpies, pushups, etc are greatly reduced.

However, the best thing for it is to keep it mobile. I work all the shoulder muscles three or four days a week. It's more about repetitions than it is building big mass. I can feel it if I have a long weekend away from the gym like this weekend.

I probably had a combination of arthritis and rotator cuff issues. I couldn't lift my arm above my head. A cortisone shot and physical therapy resolved that portion of the issue. There is no solution for the arthritis at this time. I just keep moving and take tylenol for any nagging pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back