Should you change your oil every 15,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should you change your oil every 15,000 miles? Here's how to decide
By Steven Lang August 11, 2014 5:00 PM Motoramic

There is good news and bad news when it comes to the 15,000 mile oil change — a standard five times longer than those often recommended by the quick-lube merchants. The good news: Yes, it is possible with certain vehicles and motor oils, to do so with no harm to your car.

The bad? Unless you plan on keeping that car until half-past forever, you likely won't see any long-term benefit from doing it.

Most automobile engines are now designed to last well over 250,000 miles with proper care and conventional motor oil. To make matters better for owners, a lot of these motor oils now come with additives that can better resist the depletion and breakdown process. This resistance helps the motor oil maintain the viscosity needed to keep your engine running properly, and helps prolong oil change intervals to a moderate degree.

A few vehicles require the more-expensive synthetic oil, a recommendation used to be the sole domain of higher-end vehicles such as Maseratis and Ferraris (and, surprisingly, the Chevrolet Corvette.) Today, even entry-level vehicles such as the Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta now demand full synthetics.

That's Due to better quality chemical additives, conventional oils are lasting longer than ever with many manufacturers now promoting 7,500 mile to 10,000 mile oil changes under certain driving conditions.

So why would you want to go 15,000 miles with a full synthetic oil that can often cost more than two to three times as much as conventional oil? There are three potential reasons: You want to baby your car, you prefer to do oil changes yourself to save money or you expect the car to take a significant amount of abuse.

For most, the decision may be as simple as using a better product at a lower, long-term cost. Yet there can often be confusion between what the manufacturer recommends in the owner's manual and what your friendly mechanic/lube consultant says.

Not everyone is better off with a synthetic oil. In fact, I use a conventional oil with a 9,000 mile oil change interval for a 2002 Toyota Prius that now has 206,000 miles. That engine was characterized as a "spring chicken' by the laboratory that tested the metal contaminants in my motor oil, and I do my best to maintain it like a top.

With that said most cars on today's roads can still hit the highest mileage levels with a high quality conventional oil and a caring owner. So if you do go down this route of fewer oil changes, make sure you have the right habits when it comes to caring for your car.

link: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/...-134321080.html

I know some that do 15K OCIs,and well beyond that, in engines that have well in excess of 300K with no problems. Most of them use M1 oils. However many that use Amsoil do the same thing. I don't see your point.

I'm not sure he was making a point - seemed to me he was just posting an article that came across.

What I got out of this article that I hadn't thought of, was the genius homemade funnel in the article picture!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ronbo

a full synthetic oil that can often cost more than two to three times as much as conventional oil?

That person must not have heard of M1 in 5qt jugs at walmart.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

a full synthetic oil that can often cost more than two to three times as much as conventional oil?

That person must not have heard of M1 in 5qt jugs at walmart.
smile.gif

It's from Yahoo...which means any yahoo can write an article.
27.gif

Last edited:
I do, and have been doing, 12K OCI's since coming to this board. Using M1 EP stuff. Had the oil tested from a couple of vehicles I've owned and they all were stellar. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it.

Oci for the Jag is 16k miles. But have read that in some markets they have a severe service interval of half that.

The Pathfinder is 18k again i have read in the workshop manual that severe service should half that interval.

The Clio same thing again. 12k oci but with a severe service interval of half that.

I try to stick as close to half oci as possible due to lots of urban running.

Would i ever drop to a conventional/mineral oil?

No.

I don't really think saving £10 over 5k or 8k is worth worryinf about.

To mention ROI is pointless imho.

You would get better ROI by keeping your windows wound up for the entire oci.

Per mile fuel is the biggest expense in running a vehicle, depreciation not included.

In that regard i feel that using the best quality syntetic oil will save me money in the long term.

I do like putting huge miles on cars and maintaining them well to hopefully do so reliably.

If i drive up an down motorways(highways) and nothing else i might be more inclined to stop my mid interval oil changes.

But i am not going to ram what i do down anyones throat.

Each to his own as long as you are happy with your plan.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
I'm not sure he was making a point - seemed to me he was just posting an article that came across.

What I got out of this article that I hadn't thought of, was the genius homemade funnel in the article picture!
smile.gif

Exactly, as OP I had no point , just linked an article, it is what it is. I too noticed the funnel.
Shouldn't have posted it here. It's too elementary for this sophisticated forum. I apologize.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lugNutz

smile.gif

Exactly, as OP I had no point , just linked an article, it is what it is. I too noticed the funnel.
Shouldn't have posted it here. It's too elementary for this sophisticated forum. I apologize.

LOL. No, it was an interesting read - no need to apologize. Users here post things all the time that they read and find interesting - sharing your interests is not an issue.

Had this been posted by a BITOG member on the BITOG forum, everyone would have read it and accepted it. Maybe some contradictory comments, but we are used to that.

Man, I looked back at that article, and some of the comments from people are just moronic. The popularity of that article is continuing to grow on the trending list, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back