Should we trust the extended oil chg mileage intervals ? Toyota and porsche 10 K miles seems crazy to me..

So I am in the market for a 996 or 997 porsche 911 manual with some miles..
Also would like to upgrade my family truck / 2001 f350 superduty to a toyota land cruiser or a sequoia . Vintage around 2008 / 2010 with the 5.7 v8.
Both the porsche and toyota / lexus lx470 family have about ten thousand miles for oil changes.. I am kind of worried about buying a 200 k mile used toyota.. or a 140 k used porsche that has had 10 k mile oil changes.
Especially the porsche would have had one oil change per year.
So I am pretty old and was a mechanic a long time ago. 3000 mile to 4000 mile changes were common. The last 20 years I have done 5000 to 6000 mile changes with my trucks and cars.. audi , bmw , vw , ford and porsche.
So I am no expert on modern oils or even modern engine designs. I know direct injection can get more gas in the oil.. my opinion for myself is that oil is cheap and engines are very expensive. The porsche rebuild would cost about 15 k dollars for a 30 to 35 thousand dollar used car..

Do you believe that the ten thousand mile changes protects engines well ?? I can do a mobil 1 oil change even with the porsche large oil volume for 60 or 70 bucks.

I would be interested in your opinions.. when ford and honda and toyota a long time ago went to 5w20 or 0w30 oils I thought it was crazy too thin an oil. But now I just use it and hope the design engineers got it right.

I did 10k and eventually went out to 14k on my VW TDi. It managed 314k before I sold it--no oil consumption. Our current '11 Camry has seen plenty of 10k OCI's and still no oil problems after 230k.

But neither was a car meant to be driven hard... but how many Porsche's see hard use in real life?

My friend has a 2014 911S - he only puts about 6k per year on the car - so does M1 0W40 in the spring
There are many owners like that - so is it the price drop from high mileage you seek ?

What oil was used for the 10K OCIs? If conventional or semi-syn, your fears may be justified. But if those 10K mile OCIs were done on a synthetic, I think you should feel satisfied the engine(s) are in as good a shape as possible for higher end cars with discerning owners.

I've done ~7500 and about 1 year interval on premium products without too much concern. Carefully monitored and on a top tier 20k rated oil I'd be okay with a 10k interval. I probably wouldn't make a habit of it, my comfort level is in the 5-7k and 12-18 months max usually. But these days I don't even really factor miles, as I struggle to put sufficient miles on any vehicle in 6-12 months anymore. I'm dumping oil sometimes with less than 1000 miles on it at a 1 year interval.

The million-mile Gen 1 Tundra had the oil changed every 8,500 miles at the dealership. That was the original engine and transmssion. The Toyota recommendation for that model year was 5,000 miles. The million-mile 2015 Subaru Crosstrek that the owner services himself and is still driving, changes his oil every 12,000 miles. He uses Mobil 1.

The million-mile Gen 1 Tundra had the oil changed every 8,500 miles at the dealership. That was the original engine and transmssion. The Toyota recommendation for that model year was 5,000 miles. The million-mile 2015 Subaru Crosstrek that the owner services himself and is still driving, changes his oil every 12,000 miles. He uses Mobil 1.
Our own member Tig has done 10k on Mobil 1 for several decades and still does on his high mileage Fusion - we ran our Fusion 10k on M1 and traded at 157k - no oil consumption …
However - can’t bring myself there on my GDI engine - so me and my OLM tap out between 6k-7k which is around 6 months anyway …

I appreciate your logic. I am shopping for used vehicles and many of them are on the 10k mile plan. I can only do a PPI and look for a car with service records.
About 5 years ago some neighbors sold me a 95 bmw 325i .. the service records were all there since new. God that car is just fantastic. 236 k miles now and I dont think the car has any weakness..

It was a great used car purchase. I want to do that with a porsche and toyota as well. Waiting till some of the silly prices hopefully go back to more normal.

This is BITOG!!!

Go 5k and test,
If good, go 7500 and test.
If good go 10k and test.

What works for someone else may not work for you.

I go 10k with my current driving style.

Retirement will come ( hopefully ) early next year.
At that point I will re evaluate my routine.

Also would like to upgrade my family truck / 2001 f350 superduty to a toyota land cruiser or a sequoia . Vintage around 2008 / 2010 with the 5.7 v8.
Both the porsche and toyota / lexus lx470 family have about ten thousand miles for oil changes.. I am kind of worried about buying a 200 k mile used toyota.. or a 140 k used porsche that has had 10 k mile oil changes.
So I am pretty old and was a mechanic a long time ago. 3000 mile to 4000 mile changes were common. The last 20 years I have done 5000 to 6000 mile changes with my trucks and cars.. audi , bmw , vw , ford and porsche.
So I am no expert on modern oils or even modern engine designs. I know direct injection can get more gas in the oil.. my opinion for myself is that oil is cheap and engines are very expensive. The porsche rebuild would cost about 15 k dollars for a 30 to 35 thousand dollar used car..

Do you believe that the ten thousand mile changes protects engines well ?? I can do a mobil 1 oil change even with the porsche large oil volume for 60 or 70 bucks.

I would be interested in your opinions.. when ford and honda and toyota a long time ago went to 5w20 or 0w30 oils I thought it was crazy too thin an oil. But now I just use it and hope the design engineers got it right.
The interval in the Porsche is not an issue so long as an oil with Porsche A40 approval was used.

For the Toyotas, it's also not a concern. The 5.7 is fairly easy on oil. Right now, just finding one for a decent price might be tough.

The interval in the Porsche is not an issue so long as an oil with Porsche A40 approval was used.

For the Toyotas, it's also not a concern. The 5.7 is fairly easy on oil. Right now, just finding one for a decent price might be tough.
He might be backing off replacing those vehicles once he sees "real world" pricing. Many of us are on the sidelines waiting.....

Porsche's oil sumps are huge........
Toyota not so much.

I'd believe the Germans vs the Japanese here.

Back