Should this tire be ok?

Ran over a nail, and I didn't realize it until the back end started to sway a little and I pulled off and the driver rear was flat. Took to tire shop and they advised there was no internal rubber pieces inside (internal chaffing) that's usually caused by driving on a flat, so that's good. They said if it was really bad, they would straight up say so and not repair, and they asked if I wanted them to repair it or not. I told them to go ahead and was advised to just keep eye on it. I took some pictures, and it doesn't seem to too bad. I would not have driven on it had I known right at that second, and not the 1/4 mile or so I drove on it. The inside sidewall didn't get as eaten up as the outside. Here are some pics. I would appreciate what you guys think safety wise, if I should be ok. Car isn't taken on the freeway that often, usually around town, 30-50mph, nothing too crazy. When I run my finger along the affected area/circumference the rubber there that would normally contribute to a rounded profile is worn down/divited/slightly gouged. No radial belts showing or anything like that. I'd like to think I'm fine, just keep an eye on it for any separation, etc. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 11.jpeg
    11.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 12.jpeg
    12.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 13.jpeg
    13.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 14.jpeg
    14.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 15.jpeg
    15.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 179
in pic #12 is that a hole in the lower left?

I thought the same thing. I had to zoom in on it. They are shadows from the little rubber nubs on the tire. Certainly look like big holes at first glance.

OP - I'm sure a ton of people will say replace the tire. But judging that its a 175/65-14 (and a 4 lug wheel) I'm guessing that its on a reasonably light and not particularly powerful car. Its your butt on the line if it blows, I don't think I would be running it for hours on I85 doing 80mph, but keep it inflated properly and it will probably be ok for grocery getter duty.

I agree that the shadows from the nubs look like holes. that is the thinnest part of the tire - but if the inside looks ok, low speed around town is probably fine - I would not consider that safe at highway speeds.- you would also be liable for any accident caused by a blowout.

No, it's been ran too low. The groove wore in the sidewall makes it's a potential hazard. As Bourne stated previously it needs replaced.

Inside

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 70
Outside

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 33
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 28
I appreciate all the opinions on this. I keep going back and forth on it. What I may do is find another of same exact rim, and get new tire for it, and keep this tire/rim as a full size spare in trunk. I actually like having 2 spares in the truck (the crappy small spare and a full size spare), even if it takes up trunk space. Car is a Toyota Echo.

I would run it especially since you say you mostly run the car in the city at 30-50 mph. Looks like mosty cosmetic damage, and the fact that the tire shop didn't tell you straight up to replace it is really telling. Properly inflated tires don't just blow out during normal use, if this was on a high performance track car then I would be nervous about using it.

I would run it especially since you say you mostly run the car in the city at 30-50 mph. Looks like mosty cosmetic damage, and the fact that the tire shop didn't tell you straight up to replace it is really telling. Properly inflated tires don't just blow out during normal use, if this was on a high performance track car then I would be nervous about using it.

The tire shop, without naming them is a very very much trusted shop. Basically when they told me, I reiterated what they said as basically not like a red flag, not a green flag, but more a yellow flag, and said that was a good analogy. And they were kinda in the same position of repair/replace. The nail went right in the middle in the tread, which was very repairable, but just the issue w/ the sidewall damage as they could tell it was driven on it, and they didn't outright say needed to be replaced and refused to repair it--but asked me what I would like to do. They mentioned when they inspected inside the tire, there was no little rubber bits. When this happened it was cold and wet which might have helped keep the temps down. As I was driving I noticed the handling getting progressively worse w/ back end through the curves on road until back end was started to sway out, and found place to pull over. When I got out, tire was completely flat.

OP - I'm sure a ton of people will say replace the tire. But judging that its a 175/65-14 (and a 4 lug wheel) I'm guessing that its on a reasonably light and not particularly powerful car. Its your butt on the line if it blows, I don't think I would be running it for hours on I85 doing 80mph, but keep it inflated properly and it will probably be ok for grocery getter duty.

This is my take on it. If it were my car I'd run it, unless I had an extended freeway commute where I had to do 75+ mph.

Final Pics. I went ahead and washed the tire so pics show areas better. There is one spot (my fingernail--same as pic 7 below) that does raise some alarms.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
last 2

Attachments

• 11.jpeg
    11.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 12.jpeg
    12.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 37
I've seen people abuse trailer tires way worse. I think I'll let my original opinion stand. Just keep an eye on the air.

Apples and Oranges. Trailer tires (specifically the sidewalls) are more robust.

I see a crack where your finger is on picture #32. I don't understand not spending $40 for safety and piece of mind.

Back