should splash lubricated engines use non detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't a splash lubricated engine use non detergent oil instead of detergent oil? That way the junk sits at the bottom instead of being suspended up at the top where it's continuously getting splashed? I guess on engine with an oil pump the oil is taken from the very bottom of the pan and pumped through the filter and into the engine oil galleries, so it makes sense in that case.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Non Detergent oils (API SA)have little or no additives, they are mostly good for lubricating door hinges.

thumbsup2.gif

Most ND oils are Solvent refined Group I oils and have only an anti-foam additive and nothing else. A non-detergent oil has NO Dispersant in it so that blows your theory.

Use a good modern 10W30 oil or so that has all the chemistry in it to clean, provide Anti-Wear, inhibit rust and corrosion, and reduce friction.

Last edited:
IIRC, back in the day, non-detergent oils were what was
recommended for engines without oil filters.

Since then, the idea of keeping the small particles suspended
so they are drained out with the oil change has taken over
the thinking on this.
Non-detergent oil, if you can find it, is for hinges, locks,
bicycle chains, etc...

My 2¢

Those OPE engines that run for ever with the cheapest and little changed detergent oil say other wise. I get the argument but I have never run a ND oil in OPE, nor has my family and we have never had any oil related failure.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Shouldn't a splash lubricated engine use non detergent oil instead of detergent oil? That way the junk sits at the bottom instead of being suspended up at the top where it's continuously getting splashed?

Let's see-it's a small engine that is bouncing around with the connecting rod constantly churning and whipping up the oil, and anything suspended in the oil is somehow magically going to stay at the bottom rather than getting churned up with the rest of the oil? How would that happen?

Every manual for every splash lubricated small engine that I own says to use a detergent oil, usually 5W30 depending upon the temperature.

ND oils are definitely a thing of the past. Modern oils are much better in any motor.

Lots of splash lubed engines have dippers on the bottom of the rod big end. They come close to touching the bottom of the sump and they stir up everything. Best to use best oil you can afford and change it regularly (once a year on some)
smile.gif

3422. That's right, 3422. That's the number of post you have on this board. And you STILL dont know that non-detergent motor oil should not be used in a splash lubricated engine. They MIGHT be a good idea in an ancient engine that is sludged up, that doesn't get any use other than for parades or display.

For any other combustion engine made in the past 50 plus years, use detergent motor oil. (SJ, SL, SM, etc)

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
3422. That's right, 3422. That's the number of post you have on this board. And you STILL dont know that non-detergent motor oil should not be used in a splash lubricated engine. They MIGHT be a good idea in an ancient engine that is sludged up, that doesn't get any use other than for parades or display.

For any other combustion engine made in the past 50 plus years, use detergent motor oil. (SJ, SL, SM, etc)
Once that ancient engine is rebuilt, than use a detergent oil.

This is a very old myth that refuses to die!
I have small engine manuals from Kohler and Tecumseh as far back as the 1960's that say detergent oil only!

The neat thing is that each grade of oil supersedes the previous spec. ND oil is OK given it is changed often. The main thing a small engine needs is oil. You can use practically any engine oil you have lying around. I would stick with stuff that has a 30 in it. Checking it before every use is more important than what the oil you actually use is.The Toro had a problem with a loose oil filler cap. Luckily, I saw it in time. It was blowing out a mist of oil. It left an oily coat on the front of the engine and the deck. Not much oil, but well distributed. Scoops on the rod cap, I'm guessing. Running at 3 K RPM thats a lot scooping. How good does it have to be ?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
ND oil is OK given it is changed often. The main thing a small engine needs is oil.

No. Modern oils have antiwear additives, and many other components. Take two brand new engines, one with SAE30HD and one with non detergent 30 weight, and one will last twice as long as the other. I mean if you prefer your engine wearing prematurely do to improper lube choice, go ahead. Id rather my engine not smoke and knock after a few seasons.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Shouldn't a splash lubricated engine use non detergent oil instead of detergent oil? That way the junk sits at the bottom instead of being suspended up at the top where it's continuously getting splashed? I guess on engine with an oil pump the oil is taken from the very bottom of the pan and pumped through the filter and into the engine oil galleries, so it makes sense in that case.

That's why you do a drain and refill to get the debris out.Wear metals would still be in the mix regardless of the oil type.Keep your ND oil for your compressor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back