Should i use the rubber gasket or gasket maker?

I am changing the transmission fluid in my 2008 Mazda 5. I bought a Wix filter to put on there and it came with a rubber gasket. should I put this on there should I just use gasket maker?

It is a smooth rubber gasket. Not ribbed. And gasket maker was on prior. I already scraped it off though. Just cautious because last time I used the rubber one it leaked.

A vote for gasket maker. Use a premium product though and don't let it ooze into the internals.

Use what it is originally equipped with....

There are surface differences when requiring RTV vs a gasket.

I had no issues using a rubber gasket in place of FIPG for a Toyota transmission.

I will usually use both or at least I did in school as that is what the teacher taught us and required us to do. Sometimes I’ll only use a gasket but it makes me feel better about having a little RTV on there just don’t get carried away.

It is a smooth rubber gasket. Not ribbed. And gasket maker was on prior. I already scraped it off though. Just cautious because last time I used the rubber one it leaked.
Most manufacturers have gone to liquid gaskets for that very reason. A rubber gasket could leak fluid from both sides of itself. A liquid gasket in effect bonds the pan to the transmission so there are zero sides fluid could leak from.

I will usually use both or at least I did in school as that is what the teacher taught us and required us to do. Sometimes I’ll only use a gasket but it makes me feel better about having a little RTV on there just don’t get carried away.
Exactly. I would put a very thin skim coat of rtv over all the mating surfaces to fill in any voids or scrapes from removing the old rtv and then install the gasket and tighten every thing up and call it a day.

I am changing the transmission fluid in my 2008 Mazda 5. I bought a Wix filter to put on there and it came with a rubber gasket. should I put this on there should I just use gasket maker?
I would use the rubber gasket, place it on the pan with a thin coat of high tack and do not over tighten (just snug and a hair), and not spec torque that was intended for RTV and will probably spread the gasket out causing a leak.
I am not a big fan of RTV, it is a PITA to remove and if the surface happens to get a little fluid on it after being cleaned it is a instant leak. It is used for assembly line speed and cost reduction nothing more, it is certainly not for its sealing qualities.

Even the factories can have issues with RTV, not a Ford bash just one example, there are many.

Issue: Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine built at Kansas City Assembly Plant on or before 23-Feb-2018 or Dearborn Truck Plant on or before 26-Feb-2018 and Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 19-Mar-2018 may exhibit an oil leak from the oil pan RTV seal. This may be due to a lack of RTV adhesion. This article includes detailed steps to achieve proper RTV adhesion. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the oil pan.

Back