Should I use old synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

I've found a sealed jug of old (API SH) Wal-mart synthetic 5w30 in my garage.

My 1999 VW 1.8 Turbo is currently at the end of an Auto-Rx treatment and I'm thinking I can use this synthetic as the 500 mile rinse oil.

What do you think?

Yuk,

Have any idea how old, "old" is? Also, are you planning to use it as a rinse after your last dose of Rx before you start your normal change intervals?

I'd have to guess it's about 4-5 years old, but I don't really know. I was hoping someone from the forum could tell me when API-SH was current.

As far as the Auto-Rx goes, I'm beginning to think that my engine doesn't have much crap in it. So, all I was going to do is the one 12 oz application followed by a the 500 mile rinse and then go back to synthetic (German 0w30) as usual.

My 1994 owner's manual talks about SH. Wow...it might be more like 8,9 or 10 years old!
shocked.gif

Yuk,

If it were me, as much as I hate discarding oil, especially synthetic, and even though it is only in for 500 miles, 4 or more years old (especially in light of Dr T's comment that it could be MUCH older)...I wouldn't do it. You've just done an Rx treatment, you are going to put in Castol Deutsches Elixir...I just don't think it is worth the risk. Despite Palmerwmd's quote from Mobil, I believe you have shelflife issues, and if you have gone this long without using it.....just consider it a sunk cost.
wink.gif

Palmerwmd...I figure you were using Mobil's comment as a benchmark, but I wouldn't do it, especially since this isn't Mobil 1.

[ August 01, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I found an API Motor Oil Guide the states:

quote:

SH - obsolete - For 1996 and older engines.Valid when preceded by current C categories.

To the hazardous material dump it goes
frown.gif

Oh well... I guess this means I get to buy more oil
grin.gif

Got a lawn mower? (no don't make the goat drink it
grin.gif
)

Seriously - what the heck synthetic oil was wallyworld selling as SH??? You could have found the holy grail, the oil of life,the GERMAN Castrol, the elixer, the nectar of the of the Gods, the oil every one is looking for.

Did someone mention eBay?
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
grin.gif
)

Seriously - what the heck synthetic oil was wallyworld selling as SH??? You could have found the holy grail, the oil of life,the GERMAN Castrol, the elixer, the nectar of the of the Gods, the oil every one is looking for.

rolleyes.gif

Well, he could have found those things. But instead, he found 10 year old no-name SH rated synthetic oil...
grin.gif

quote:

grin.gif
)

Seriously - what the heck synthetic oil was wallyworld selling as SH???

I got the impression that he didn't just find this oil at Walmart today, but that he bought it a very long time ago and just recently rediscovered it sitting in his garage. Our Walmarts still have a few bottles of SJ formula oils in stock, but definitely nothing older.

im not brave. i just think the oil is not bad. this is motor oil were talking about here,not celery in your frige!

i personally dont believe the stuff would go bad in 5-10 years. so if hes willing to send it to me, ill get a free oil change minus the filter.

ill even send shipping money.

quote:

grin.gif
)

rolleyes.gif

Motul's 300V racing oils are SH .Although they state they are using this obsolete standard because it is impossible to categorise such a uniq racing oil and something has to be on the label.
tongue.gif

cryptokid,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you want this oil?
dunno.gif
wink.gif

Two things:

1. The oil was capped and unused, but I did discover since starting this topic, that the oil has been opened and exposed to oxygen. Probably years ago.

2. To buy the newest Wal-Mart synthetic in Florida would probably cost less than the shipping this old stuff from Canada.

Are sure you would want to do this?

Y

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
im not brave. i just think the oil is not bad. ... i personally dont believe the stuff would go bad in 5-10 years.

I agree. All the material safety data sheets I've seen regardless of brand or type (syn or dino) state an indefinte shelf life if stored at ambient temperatures. My old '96 Accord's owner's manual specified SG or SH oil. I also doubt that metellurgy and engineering advances would be compromised objectionably over the course of one lousy change interval. A synthetic (probably PAO at the time) would almost certainly meet more than the minimum requirement for SH grade, anyway, and still be up to the past max for ZDDP, to boot. My '03 Sonata V6 specifies at least SG or SH. This oil does NOT deserve to be discarded.

oh man i just realise your in canada, nevermind then. for some reason i assumed you were from the states and figured shipping would only be like 4-5 dollars.
from canada however, it would cost way to much for it to be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back