Should I use 0W20 in my Scion tC, TSB confuses me

Status
Not open for further replies.
First here's the TSB in question:

www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/attachments/f58/967d1228919408-winter-fuel-efficiency-toyota_tsb071002.pdf

What do you guys think. Should I switch to a 20 weight oil for my 2AZ-FE engine? The part that confuses me is that the TSB first tells you to use what is recommended in your owners manual, but then lists which engines can switch down to a 20 grade oil, in which my engine is included. BTW my tC is a 2006 model year and the owners manual recommends 5W30. Thanks.

Last edited:
All it says is that you CAN run 5w20 or 0w20. Both regularly having the ILSAC-GF4 rating. I don't know of any 5w20 or 0w20 that dosent have this rating.

You are in a warm climate, no real reason to run 0w20.
Although you MIGHT see a SMALL increase in gas mileage with the 0w20, I dont know if it would be detectable.

I would stick to a synthetic 5w20 and 6000-7500 OCI's and call it a day.
How has your Scion been treating you? I see those things and wonder about issues with the engine being capable of cooling itself.

from the pdf:
NOTE:
DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low–viscosity
oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could
result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

So, personally I'd stick with what the manual says, especially in a warmer climate or if you ever do some spirited driving. I realize your engine does not apply to the above statement, but if it were my car I'd be taking that TSB with a grain of salt.

There is no reason for you to switch to 5W-20. The purpose of the TSB is to make it understood that it would be OK to switch if you wanted to. Many were asking about it since the 08's and 09's were calling for 5W-20 in the OM and on the oil cap. Of course, that change was made entirely for CAFE reasons.

We have an 06 Corolla and an 06 Tacoma, the same TSB applies to both of our rigs and I am staying with the 5W-30. Both cars run butter smooth, why change? I cannot find a single valid reason to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back