Should i throw an additive in my tranny...?

Its been probably about 5 months since i flushed out my tranny fluid and put it Amsoil. The car shifts real nice now and i haven't had any problems at all. However, just yesterday i was under a bit of load in o/d and it started slipping. it kept doing it all night and still does it. I checked the fluid level, still full and looks brand new. Any suggestions? I happen to have a bottle of ARX in my cabinet, but i do have synthetic fluid in my tranny now and i know those 2 don't like each other much.

The best I have used is Lubeguard Red. Try one bottle then if it does not help after a few miles you can use 2 bottles.

Last edited:
What kind of car and what kind of mileage? Additives should never be used in your transmission, if the oil can't do the job on it's own then the problem needs to be fixed and no amount of additive will cure your problem. Steve

Klutch9

I've heard that stuff is pretty good actually. Where can it be puchased? We've got Advance Auto, AutoZone, Murray's/O'Reilly's, WalMart around here...

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Its been probably about 5 months since i flushed out my tranny fluid and put it Amsoil. The car shifts real nice now and i haven't had any problems at all. However, just yesterday i was under a bit of load in o/d and it started slipping. it kept doing it all night and still does it. I checked the fluid level, still full and looks brand new. Any suggestions? I happen to have a bottle of ARX in my cabinet, but i do have synthetic fluid in my tranny now and i know those 2 don't like each other much.
When it comes to tranny fluid it doesn't matter if it is syn or conventional fluid when using Auto-Rx. I just did a cleaning of my tranny w/ MaxLife syn tranny fluid. Confirmed this w/ Auto-Rx before i did my tranny!I can't speak as to whether you should use an additive in your tranny! Thats up to you, but i would use the Auto-Rx and see how that goes if it continues to slip after 1000 mile treatment of Rx i would have it check out!

I have only found it at NAPA. I usually just order it from AutoBarn, I had a sticking servo. It is really great to free servos.

JHZR2

Staff member
Lubeguard red is good stuff (though I wouldnt use the other varieties if I needed to havea different-spec ATF), but I agree with Steve. IMO the chances of there being sufficient junk and garbage in an AT are minimal. There could be some varnish, etc., however the syn fluid may do some cleaning, and ARX may not be able to deal. I'd be careful with putting adds in there and try to get a good hard look at the AT before you damage it more with use. I'd also try to re-verify that the fluid in there is absolutely the right spec for your use. I'd avoid "all makes" type fluids, and try to go back to the right basic fluid.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
The best I have used is Lubeguard Red. Try one bottle then if it does not help after a few miles you can use 2 bottles.
I put it in my Mazda6 Jatco ATX. That combined with several drain-refills with Redline D4, and a Cooler seems to work well for me.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Additives should never be used in your transmission, if the oil can't do the job on it's own then the problem needs to be fixed and no amount of additive will cure your problem. Steve
This is absolutely false. My mother's neighbor's car broke down. Her tranny went to [censored], and she couldn't drive the car. A local shop quoted $1500 simply to START looking at the tranny. I told her to buy a bottle of LubeGaurd Red and see what happens. The LG Red fixed the tranny and she's driving it still with zero problems. I told her she needs to have the tranny serviced as soon as possible, but I don't think she will.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lubeguard red is good stuff (though I wouldnt use the other varieties if I needed to havea different-spec ATF), but I agree with Steve. IMO the chances of there being sufficient junk and garbage in an AT are minimal. There could be some varnish, etc., however the syn fluid may do some cleaning, and ARX may not be able to deal. I'd be careful with putting adds in there and try to get a good hard look at the AT before you damage it more with use. I'd also try to re-verify that the fluid in there is absolutely the right spec for your use. I'd avoid "all makes" type fluids, and try to go back to the right basic fluid.
I don't buy into the one size fits all ATF fluid mentality either. I would go to the MFG spec'd fluid ASAP.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Additives should never be used in your transmission, if the oil can't do the job on it's own then the problem needs to be fixed and no amount of additive will cure your problem. Steve
This is absolutely false. My mother's neighbor's car broke down. Her tranny went to [censored], and she couldn't drive the car. A local shop quoted $1500 simply to START looking at the tranny. I told her to buy a bottle of LubeGaurd Red and see what happens. The LG Red fixed the tranny and she's driving it still with zero problems. I told her she needs to have the tranny serviced as soon as possible, but I don't think she will.
I'm happy it worked for you, but this is the internet and I don't buy it... There is no way that a car went from a completely non-drivable state to a driving state because of an additive.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
I'm happy it worked for you, but this is the internet and I don't buy it... There is no way that a car went from a completely non-drivable state to a driving state because of an additive.
You can believe this: I don't care in the least what you believe.

My son's Ford Exploder's transmission went from non functioning to functioning with the addition of Marvel Mystery Oil....granted it was only a temporary fix and the transmission was eventually rebuilt a little over a thousand miles later, but it did make (let) it work again from not doing anything...

Originally Posted By: 1WildPig
My son's Ford Exploder's transmission went from non functioning to functioning with the addition of Marvel Mystery Oil....granted it was only a temporary fix and the transmission was eventually rebuilt a little over a thousand miles later, but it did make (let) it work again from not doing anything...
This is exactly why I told the lady she needs to have the tranny fully flushed and filled very soon. I'm sure she won't. There's a very good reason her tranny is fouled up to begin with.

Some folks say that ARX is more effective in automatic tranney's than in motors. Most trans problems are from never being serviced properly with respect to fluid intervals. FDor about 10 bucks worth of ARX added to the tranney 1000 miles before fluid exchange, you can clean out any deposits before purging. Why put new fluid into a dirty system?