should I switch?---worth it at 109K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '05 durango 4.7L that consumes no oil that I can notice. I am relatively new here and was changing the dino every 3 to 4K miles (ok you can stop laughing) I have done that on my accord and just passed 320K miles---anyway. after I finish the ARX on the durango, would it be worth it to switch to synthetic and run higher OCI's? I would like the convenience of the higher OCI's but also want the most wear protection---yes I am still getting over the 3K OCI. Also, the cost of doing a couple oil changes vs. 4 or 5 would be nice....but I do my own oil changes so with dino and aa good filter was only about 22 bucks. your thoughts....thanks

If you're wanting to change less often with the same protection, I would try PP, Synpower, M1 for 6-8K miles, which is perfectly safe and they are all capable oils.

22 bucks isn't too bad, you can get a 5qt jug of PP and a Mopar Filter for about 24.00-25.00 dollars at Wally World. You could go a much longer OCI for about the same cost.

Last edited:
Is that the sludge prone Durango engine? If so, I would highly suggest changing to synthetics, but not necessarily long OCI's. I would maybe do 5k max on a synthetic with that engine, and you should be able to see 200k easy!

If you keep an eye open, you can score some good synthetics at very good prices. The latest one that I've seen is a $10 rebate on 5 quarts of Q Horsepower. The reg price at WM is $18, the rebate brings the cost down to $8 for 5 quarts of good syn oil.

Good luck :)

Originally Posted By: hate2work

If you keep an eye open, you can score some good synthetics at very good prices. The latest one that I've seen is a $10 rebate on 5 quarts of Q Horsepower. The reg price at WM is $18, the rebate brings the cost down to $8 for 5 quarts of good syn oil.

Good luck :)

+1

Just to make sure you don't encounter any problems during the switch to synthetic, I would start mixing my own synthetic blend (start with one quart of synthetic per change) and work your way up (or just stay with a blend). You should be able to increase OCI moderately with a synthetic blend, and it is usually cheaper to blend it yourself (and you probably end up with a higher percent of synthetic in your custom blend).

It depends on how long you plan on keep her. Either way synthetics or not as long as the oil is changed and the drivetrain is maintained you should get many enjoyable miles.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
I have an '05 durango 4.7L that consumes no oil that I can notice. I am relatively new here and was changing the dino every 3 to 4K miles (ok you can stop laughing) I have done that on my accord and just passed 320K miles---anyway. after I finish the ARX on the durango, would it be worth it to switch to synthetic and run higher OCI's? I would like the convenience of the higher OCI's but also want the most wear protection---yes I am still getting over the 3K OCI. Also, the cost of doing a couple oil changes vs. 4 or 5 would be nice....but I do my own oil changes so with dino and aa good filter was only about 22 bucks. your thoughts....thanks

I would start with a 50-50 blend of the same brand name that you've been using all-along. If all goes well for the next two blend OCIs, then switch to full synthetic.

I sounds like you want to double your OCIs with synthetic. 7-8K OCIs shouldn't be a problem. I would do 5-6K OCIs on the blend I suggested.

several people mentioned "problems" or "if all goes well"....what kind of problems are possible?

Regarding the sludge issue with durangos: no ths is not the one that had sludge issues. My friend had one and when we dropped the pan it looked like fresh asphalt--unbelieveable---the engine ended up seizing....

I had 3 of those engines and all ran flawlessly. That is a great engine IMO. If I were looking for an oil with that engine with those miles I would get Maxlife synthetic blend from Walmart. I think it is like $14 for a 5 qt jug. If there is any Qhorsepower left you could try that but Maxlife will do a great job for you and is moderately priced.

Well synthetics tend to have a more aggressive additave package that can clean and sometimes dislodge build up. That build up can sometimes be concealing a potential oil leak. Some have noted leaks after switching to synthetics due to that. Bottom line if your seals are in good shape, which it sounds like your are, you should have no problem switching to a quality syn. If your leaking oil using dino, expect issues when making the switch.

yeah the engine is bone dry everywhere and the dipstick level doesn't budge at all. I have only run ARX one other time and am in the middle of a cleaning phase. previous OCI's were short and with the ARX i am sure everything is clean.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
several people mentioned "problems" or "if all goes well"....what kind of problems are possible?

Some people are still living in the 70s and think leaks will erupt everywhere if you switch to synthetics, or that the engine is full of sludge that will suddenly break loose and clog the works. Won't happen. I've switched a Mopar 318 that had over 200,000 miles on dino to synthetics, no problem, still plugging away at 430,000 miles, though its getting time for a rebuild (for the whole car!). I've also switched a couple of other high-mileage engines without trouble. If you are at all concerned, just change the filter and add back enough fresh oil to compensate for what is lost in the filter every 1000 miles for the first oil change interval on synthetic. If you're as obsessive-compulsive as the rest of us on here, slice open the used filter and see what (if anything...) is coming out of the engine.

Your 4.7 is an excellent engine, one of the best on the market though often overlooked in the shadow of the more glamorous Hemi. Give it the best treatment and it will serve you long and well.

I would go with a syn-blend at 1st . Possibly MOTORCRAFT ( 30 >40% syn ) at WALLY WORLD for $2.96 a quart or less . Went straight to a full synthetic ( MOBIL 1 5w-30 ) on a 2000 CHEVY Prizm ( Corolla ) at around 75,000 miles and it began to eat up the oil . Oil burning continued with few more synthetic changes , 1 being PLATINUM 5w-30 and another with PENNZOIL 5w-30 S.U.V. blend . Figured ease it back to all conventional . When refilled with PENNZOIL 5w-30 the burning almost came to a halt . Every vehicle is like a person . Some foods agree with you , while others suffer .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
Is that the sludge prone Durango engine? If so, I would highly suggest changing to synthetics, but not necessarily long OCI's. I would maybe do 5k max on a synthetic with that engine, and you should be able to see 200k easy!

4.7 liter engines are NOT sludge prone engines. I have owned them since they first came out.

I mix my own blend. 5 quarts of Castrol GTX 5w-30 and 2 quarts of SYNTEC. Usually I use 10w-40 SYNTEC for the extra protection. Alittle boost for the conventional. I have 143,000+ miles now and she runs like a top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back