Should I switch oil for the summer months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is about time to change my oil on my 91 civic with 297k miles standard. I use Castrol GTX with a Purolator classic oil filter. I wanted to try Valvoline this time around because last time I used valvoline I burned less oil, so I thought might aswell try it again to see if it just wasn't luck.

At the store I am looking at they have Valvoline Max life for like 4 bucks more and a pure one filter. Since its one of those high mileage oil would it be okay to keep switching between standard conventional and high mileage conventional?

What about Syn blend? I was looking at one time motorcraft since they sell it at my local walmart, would that be okay to keep switching between?

Welcome to BITOG!!
welcome2.gif

The first question you'll get is: any oil consumption issues? You'll also get the usual, if it ain't broke, blah, blah, blah...keep using what's been working, etc., etc.
If you want to try Valvoline, go for it. MaxLife has a great reputation around here and for good reason. And there should be no issues with switching. Some people just have brand loyalty.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Welcome to BITOG!!
welcome2.gif

The first question you'll get is: any oil consumption issues? You'll also get the usual, if it ain't broke, blah, blah, blah...keep using what's been working, etc., etc.
If you want to try Valvoline, go for it. MaxLife has a great reputation around here and for good reason. And there should be no issues with switching. Some people just have brand loyalty.
Thank you! It does consume oil...but it also leaks some aswell...I just can't find where it leaks it. I think its the oil pan gasket because when I drive I can kind of smell oil burning off the exhaust. It also consumes a bit, probably a quart every 3500-4k.

@dave1251 Alright, thanks for the response!

I actually ended up buying Castrol 5qt jug at walmart..it stinks because I will only use 3.7 of those 5 quarts so measuring it will be a fun task...but atleast now I can empty all of the .3 and .5 quarts of castrol into one jug now.

I also ended up picking up 2 purolator pure one filters. I do a good amount of mountain driving on the weekends here and there and it was cheaper to go this route rather then the deal at the local auto store.

Oil was 16
and the filters were 10bucks so Its about 21 for both changes if I find another 5 qt jug on sale like this.

Originally Posted By: bk7794
Well it is about time to change my oil on my 91 civic with 297k miles standard. I use Castrol GTX with a Purolator classic oil filter. I wanted to try Valvoline this time around because last time I used valvoline I burned less oil, so I thought might aswell try it again to see if it just wasn't luck.

At the store I am looking at they have Valvoline Max life for like 4 bucks more and a pure one filter. Since its one of those high mileage oil would it be okay to keep switching between standard conventional and high mileage conventional?

What about Syn blend? I was looking at one time motorcraft since they sell it at my local walmart, would that be okay to keep switching between?

Max Life is well worth the $4 extra. It is a synthetic blend as well as a higher mileage engine conditioner. Just a fabulous oil. And it is perfectly fine to switch between conventional and high mileage, or conventional and synthetic, or etc etc etc.

Max Life is currently my favorite oil because it has such good specifications and if you look at used oil analysis, they are good for up to 7k, in the neighborhood of the cheaper synthetic oils.

I definitely, definitely recommend Max Life. I'd switch to it forever if I were you! And go with the Next Gen if you are concerned about the environment.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: bk7794

Max Life is well worth the $4 extra. It is a synthetic blend as well as a higher mileage engine conditioner. Just a fabulous oil. And it is perfectly fine to switch between conventional and high mileage, or conventional and synthetic, or etc etc etc.

Max Life is currently my favorite oil because it has such good specifications and if you look at used oil analysis, they are good for up to 7k, in the neighborhood of the cheaper synthetic oils.

I definitely, definitely recommend Max Life. I'd switch to it forever if I were you! And go with the Next Gen if you are concerned about the environment.

While I might drive a fuel efficient vehicle I really don't care too much about the environment.

The high mileage oil did seem nice but I was wondering if it really did all it said it would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back