Should I still use higher mileage oil after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Subaru head gaskets replaced and any other seals that ought to be done while the motor is out? I was all set to go with Nextgen Maxlife 5w30 but with (I sure hope) no oil leaks, is the Maxlife a better choice than regular Nextgen (or any other higher mileage vs. its regular version)? Is the main reason for higher mileage oils the seal conditioners? The mileage is about 84K and I am not having anything done that doesn't need to be done.

Thanks, Doug

Maxlife will be better than regular dino since it is blend first of all. + it cleans and seals. It you have tired engine that drinks oil or leaks it might help.

The Nextgen ML and Conventional NextGen work as well as the "regular" valvoline oils. You can use either one without worry, I switch them up sometimes and you get a little seal conditioning action with the ML. The whole High Mileage thing is mostly a marketing tool. If your vehicle doesn't use excessive amounts of oil you can run whatever you want to. The idea that when a vehicle reaches 75k and NEEDS a HM oil is just not true. Flip a coin, heads=ML, tails=conventional. The nextgen products seem to be very good.

Originally Posted By: dvancleve
I have my Subaru head gaskets replaced and any other seals that ought to be done while the motor is out? I was all set to go with Nextgen Maxlife 5w30 but with (I sure hope) no oil leaks, is the Maxlife a better choice than regular Nextgen (or any other higher mileage vs. its regular version)? Is the main reason for higher mileage oils the seal conditioners? The mileage is about 84K and I am not having anything done that doesn't need to be done.

Thanks, Doug

High mileage oil have seal swelling additives in addition to seal swelling additives. Normal synthetic oils have seal conditioners.

Thanks, Doug

High mileage oils sometimes work, sometimes don't depending on your issue, here's why. Different gaskets are made of different materials. High mileage oil works best on rubber based seals that compress and shrink over time. Head gaskets are normally made from metal, so the high mileage oil would have no effect on them. If your oil pan gasket is cork, still may leak because corks gaskets have a tendency to break apart over time leaving a hole. I would replace the valve seals while your at it.

Last edited:
Is the main reason for higher mileage oils the seal conditioners?

M1's HM line also has a better anti wear package being API SL still,so that's a plus if your looking for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back