Should I return 7.5 yr-old New Old Stock (NOS) Fram Ultra Synthetic filters or buy more?

I'm assuming Fram will eventually switch all XG Ultra models over to the new media ... time will tell.
Agreed. Imo, the 2ply microglass full synthetic media with wire backing will be gone. That will include the much lower volume sale cartridges. I also think that as stock moves out on the AAP Titanium filter, those too will switch to new media. I just don't see First Brands keeping around the OG media design for a some select applications or a made for filter. Especially so when FB has already released their promotional specs for the new media (now posted multiple times this subforum), touting it's superiority to the previous OG. As noted, time will tell. My.02

Thanks O,

So the two you mentioned, Stratapore & EaO are fully synthetic? I may revisit Amsoil’s EaO lineup. I went to PureOne originally for the efficiency at the price point, as I was not leaving them in more than 2,000 miles.
Yes, the EaO uses Donaldson's Synteq media, the Fleetguard uses an extremely similar product from Cummins Filtration. The Fleetguard, IF available for your application, will be less expensive in my experience. Both are excellent filters, but the product numbers for passenger car and truck applications from Fleetguard are limited, given that these are not their primary audience.

Agreed. Imo, the 2ply microglass full synthetic media with wire backing will be gone. That will include the much lower volume sale cartridges. I also think that as stock moves out on the AAP Titanium filter, those too will switch to new media. I just don't see First Brands keeping around the OG media design for a some select applications or a made for filter. Especially so when FB has already released their promotional specs for the new media (now posted multiple times this subforum), touting it's superiority to the previous OG. As noted, time will tell. My.02
As I posted in the other thread, FRAM's website already has the blurb for the Titanium updated to show the new, blended, media:
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.05.11 PM.jpg

^^^Yes, I saw that and have seen it before being posted this thread. However, I think and iirc that description may have existed from the introduction of the AAP Titanium, 'perhaps' in anticipation by First Brands of the coming change in media. Either way, as noted I believe the previous media will be gone from Titanium too. Comments have alluded to it possibly staying, I don't think so.

^^^Yes, I saw that and have seen it before being posted this thread. However, I think and iirc that description may have existed from the introduction of the AAP Titanium, 'perhaps' in anticipation by First Brands of the coming change in media. Either way, as noted I believe the previous media will be gone from Titanium too. Comments have alluded to it possibly staying, I don't think so.
No, I don't think so either, I think that description shows that it's just an Ultra in different paint and that, like the Ultra, will transition to the blend media.

The Titanium appears to have first shown up (at least from the Web Archive) in August of 2020. They unfortunately didn't have the product page archived, otherwise we could have seen if the diagram changed or not.

Seems that only the left over XGs with the wire backing would have the full synthetic media. I'm assuming Fram will eventually switch all XG Ultra models over to the new media ... time will tell.
FWIW the new box still says "Dual layered synthetic media..."

I just received (11/16/2021) my Amazon shipment of 3 filters:

XG3980 date code A10983, box © 2019, can © 2017, box has "Durable Metal Screen"
XG9100 date code A11411, box © 2019, can © 2017, box has "Durable Metal Screen"
XG10575 date code A12641, box © 2020, can © 2019, box has "Perfect Seal™ Gasket" in place of "Durable Metal Screen"

The XG10575 I just pulled off was in the new box and has date code A11863 received 08/10/2021 from Amazon
The other XG10575 I have on the Buick also in new box has date code A11473 received 07/01/2021 from Amazon

For kicks and giggles I looked inside the filters. ALL of them have a metal screen.

Here are pics of the XG10575 date code A12641:

XG10575a.jpg

XG10575b.jpg

Cut them open :D

Too old to use, but not old enough to come in those cool pop-top Gatorade cans that were actually sealed :sneaky:

The date code must be 2014.

From the link: https://www.fram.com/about-us/history/

2000 - Once again, FRAM asserts itself as an industry-leading brand with the introduction of its Xtended Guard® product line, an oil filter designed for use with synthetic oils and extended oil change intervals.

2012 - FRAM releases a new oil filter designed specifically for synthetic oil: the FRAM Ultra Synthetic® oil filter.

Apparently, it was called the Fram Xtended Guard (where the designation of XG came from) from 2000 to 2012, then was called the Ultra Synthetic in 2012 and beyond.
When they were first introduced they were in special cans with a pull off top , like a can of peanuts or something, and branded Fram X2, then they changed to regular packaging and branded them just Xtended Guard, around Q4 2009 they upgraded them from a single layer of synthetic media to a dual layer, around 2012 they rebranded this version of the Xtended Guard to Ultra.

FWIW the new box still says "Dual layered synthetic media..."

I just received (11/16/2021) my Amazon shipment of 3 filters:

XG3980 date code A10983, box © 2019, can © 2017, box has "Durable Metal Screen"
XG9100 date code A11411, box © 2019, can © 2017, box has "Durable Metal Screen"
XG10575 date code A12641, box © 2020, can © 2019, box has "Perfect Seal™ Gasket" in place of "Durable Metal Screen"

The XG10575 I just pulled off was in the new box and has date code A11863 received 08/10/2021 from Amazon
The other XG10575 I have on the Buick also in new box has date code A11473 received 07/01/2021 from Amazon

For kicks and giggles I looked inside the filters. ALL of them have a metal screen.
The first 2 in the list were made before the change seemed to start. The XG10575 you received was probably one of the last wire backed original design, and happened to make it into a newly labeled box. Got lucky. :)

The first 2 in the list were made before the change seemed to start. The XG10575 you received was probably one of the last wire backed original design, and happened to make it into a newly labeled box. Got lucky. :)
I wonder if this is a marketing ploy to push sales up by year's end? Subliminal messages leading to speculation of a cheaper design?

Reminiscent of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper, White, & Abbey Road albums full of subliminal messages suggesting Paul McCartney's demise. Good way to boost their new record label's sales, no?

I'm going to order a few more of those XG10575s so it's working............

I wonder if this is a marketing ploy to push sales up by year's end? Subliminal messages leading to speculation of a cheaper design?
I'm not sure what you're getting at, we've confirmed the new design, Whip City Wrencher cut one open, plus others have seen them in person where there's no screen through the holes in the center.

When the new Ultras started hitting the shelves, Fram's website didn't have any updated info on the Ultra to reflect the new design change. I just looked now at their website, and they don't mention anything about the wire backing on the Ultra any more, and actually show the new box. So apparently they are updating their website as time goes on. They still call it the "Fram Ultra Synthetic", but in the details say it's a "Dual layered synthetic blend media".

1637272503562.png

So when the change started happening, nobody would even know if the media change and absence of the wire backing took place unless they are here or on YouTube looking at oil filter information. Only thing Fram did was take the wire backing statement off the box and put a blurb about the base gasket in it's place - a minimum existence of a change notice, but only if you already knew all about the Ultra to start with.

Their real ploy is to make a design change as quiet as possible and hope nobody really noticed or cares. 🤫:)

Last edited:
^^^^Yeah, the website was behind the curve for sure. But FB covered themselves on the box early by removing "durable metal screen" and replacing with "perfect seal gasket". I'm impressed with that change. /s And a durable metal tube no less. ;)

Also why I think the Titanium description of synthetic blend media portended the change coming in the Ultra. At least one member caught the media description on bbhero's initial post about it.

Looks like cartridges included on Ultra website too.

Last edited:
Also why I think the Titanium description of synthetic blend media portended the change coming in the Ultra. At least one member caught the media description on bbhero's initial post about it.
Hasn't been verified for sure yet from what I've seen, but IMO the Titantium will lose the wire screen backing too as time goes on.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, we've confirmed the new design, Whip City Wrencher cut one open, plus others have seen them in person where there's no screen through the holes in the center.
Right, the design has been confirmed, and most on here seem to think it's a cheaper design, one person thinks because it's a synthetic blend, it is prone to tearing. Maybe causing a run on remaining stock? I just ordered 5 from Amazon, next day delivery, I'll let you know how they look inside.

Back