Should I replace my tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years old+. About 25k miles BFG GForce Summer. A few autocross runs on them, and aggressive driving as you can tell.

I would keep running them for sure. Just keep an eye on them and use them up having fun, but it looks a little like you might be over driving your tires a bit in the corners. Also, summer tires do not like cold, which can also micro-crack them.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
These would have been off my car before winter started!

I hope so, they are a summer tire. LOL OP is in Cali.

Just sayin it ain't a rain tire and it looks like its nearly at the wear bar.

Last edited:
Lots of tread left, probably 4-5 mm. They are at their best for fun.

OP might want to add more camber if continuing to autox, and if the rules allow it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't replace the tires just for the cracking. If you had other issues with the tires or a single tire in addition to the cracking then yes. There seems to be a decent amount of tread remaining and unless they're wobbling down the highway, run'em!

You can probably make it to the next big DTD rebate sale
smile.gif

No offense intended. I just replaced tires with 60K miles on them in better shape than those. I realize you're in CA, I wasn't chancing a NY winter with mine.

I'm not sure why yours are cracking so much, but you can go a bit more in terms of shoulder tread.

I flipped mine on the rims as I was getting into the edge of the grip compound and carcass compound, and I was getting tears out of the corners of the blocks.
I have 2 summers on mine and 14 autocross's and they are starting to harden up. At the last autocross I went for a ride in another fwd econobox with a new set of Indy 500 Firehawks and I was shocked how much grip they had and how they held on without over heating... I still got him but it took a last hail mary run.
On the street they still feel pretty good though, even in the wet, and I'd get them again for a fun street and occasional autocross tire.

The cracking is taking place because you've autocrossed them.

Note that the cracking doesn't appear on the part of the tread that is contacting the road and being worn off. That's good! That means that the rubber is being worn off BEFORE it has a chance to crack.

When the cracks start appearing on the wear surface, then replace them.

The wear bars are close to surfacing. Not much life left in them anyways.Probably worthless in the rain at this point. I would be shopping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back