Should I pull the trigger on Turanza Serenity Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a bit of a quandary here that only happens to BITOG types who try to over optimize everything.

On my 2003 Sable my rear tires are at 4/32 but the right rear inner measurement at the lowest point is 2/32.

The front tires are at 7/32.

The tires I want next are Potenza Serenity Plus.

If I change all 4 this month I get a $70 rebate.

Existing tires are Avid TRZ that should last 80000 miles. They start at 12/32

However, the rears have had 35k on them, the fronts have 16k on them.

I am in CA so am thinking the rears will be ok during summer even though at one point one tire is very near or at 2/32.

I calculate that the fronts still have 10k to 15k in them.

The rears maybe 4k - 8k if that inner does not wear anymore. I had the shocks changed all round recently and am wondering if the inner wear was from before or is new (the left rear sits a little lower both before and after the shock change). The rears were rotated with each other 6k ago.

I calculate that if I change now, I am going to spend $70 in wear on the new tires if they last the rated 75000 miles. If they last 55k then that's $100 and if they last 35k like the Avid TRZ then that's $150.

All of these offset the current month $70 rebate.

The pros of changing are having a 4 wheel set of matched tires which, according to tirerack ratings are going to be a big improvement over what I have now. If I wait then the fronts will be changed in 2 to 3 years time.

What would you do?

Options:

1) Change all 4 now and get the rebate
2) Buy all 4, change 2 now and change 2 in 2 to 3 years. Is storing for 2 to 3 years an issue?
3) See through summer and change only the rears when needed and then the fronts when needed in 2 to 3 years
4) See through summer and if another deal comes, then change all 4 at that time

What's the likelihood of another rebate deal after summer is over?

If you think its a great deal, buy em now. Either use up the others and replace all 4 at once or replace em all now and sell the old ones.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If you think its a great deal, buy em now. Either use up the others and replace all 4 at once or replace em all now and sell the old ones.

So ok to store 2 for up to 3 years? Problem is I only do 5k a year on them. Treadwear warranty is only 5 years and tires should be replaced at 10 years anyway so I might only get 35k out of 2 of them.

If your tires are wearing out too soon due to mechanical issues, I would address those ASAP so you wont burn up your new tires. IMO 2/32 even in So Cal is getting at the point of changing. If money is tight get them as you need them..even one at a time. If not tight get two Bridgestones and burn up your other tires before replacing.

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to decide here. Considering the uneven wear on the tires you have now, either you're in the habit of replacing tires 2 at a time or there is a serious alignment or some other component issue with the car. I understand that the car isn't driven much (5k a year), but only replacing 2 tires means you'll still have 2 marginal tires on the vehicle. I have a set of these tires on my van and they're phenomenal...not surprised that they're rated #1 in their category on Tire Rack...great in rain and snow, nice riding and handling...I am very happy with them. I'd be inclined to take advantage of the rebate and just replace the Avids (I had a set of these when they first came out years ago...an OK tire that wore pretty quickly and became VERY loud at the end of their life). I'd make sure that any alignment issues were addressed before putting new tires on the car as the uneven wear you're describing is not normal. If the investment for the Serenities is enough of an issue that you're considering storing 2 of the tires until the Avids wear more, why not just put a full set of less expensive tires on the car?

Thanks for the replies

I guess the issue is that I'm trying to over optimize.

Money isn't an issue, I'm just someone who tries to avoid waste.

So I find it hard to change two tires that have 7/32 tread on them. I don't quite feel like storing tires for up to 3 years as by year 10, with 35k on them, their life might be up.

The car is known for eating tires and for some inner wear on the rears. The rears have been on the rear for a long time because they wore quickly on the front and I've been trying to even out the wear with a view to replacing as a set.

This was going according to plan until I found that the inner wear on the right tire was more than any other part of either rear tire.

Not sure I was very clear!! Since you only put 5k on them a year..if you feel traction is good in wet, use what you have til theyre done. Buy tires when you need them. I would replace all 4 at once if u do change them, be it that you change them now or later. If you want new tires install 4 new now and sell the others!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back