Should I look for different dealer for repairs

So I need to go to the Mazda dealer for warranty repair because my backup camera is malfunctioning. While I am there I was planning to have the oil change and tire rotated. Annoyingly, the service guy said Mazda recommend that I have the throttle body clean. The car has only 10K on it...

I asked him "So is this in the service manual". He said it was not, but just something Mazda recommended. Yes, Mazda enjoys making money, but a pitch for throttle body cleaning on a 10K car? Now I am wondering if the vendor will try to Nickle and dime me. Should I look for a different dealer or will I encountered this at every dealer. Keep in mind that my experience with dealer comes only with my wife Subaru dealer because she insists that the car be service there. Fortunately, that group seems legit and have not recommended things like throttle body cleaning.

Paul

Dealers generally have all kind of helpful suggestions that usually conclude with a "Wallet flush."
I only go to dealer for warranty work and recalls.
Best thing to do is find an indy shop that specializes in Mazda's.

An indy shop won't be able to do the warranty work at no charge.

If you can find a better Mazda dealer service department, then by all means vote with your wallet. Otherwise, just use them to get the warranty work done and find a service garage that you can trust for all the other work.

We have two Jeep dealers in my area. One is atrocious. The other one I can actually endorse as o.k. to get work done at. Welcome to the world as it is.

Like most things in life, I would explore the concept of self advocacy.

Last edited:
I would try something like this.... "No, thank you". See how that works. :unsure:
That's what they do. If they recommend something you don't want, remember the 80's and just say no. There are some good dealership service departments out there. I've been fortunate to have bought from some of those dealers a time or two.

No way would I change dealerships simlly due to an attempt to up sell you on a maintenance service. That is the service writer not the dealership. They are not mechanics nor are they the supervisor of the mechanics. They are just service counter salesmen who earn a commission based on how much you spend. This may work to your advantage as you will get discount on regular service that can be very reasonable.

My son bought a 2020 Impreza Premium hatchback in January, and the Subaru dealer includes free maintenance service every 6,000 miles for first 3 yr/36,000 miles. Good at any Subaru dealership. He just had the 18,000 mile service done yesterday. That includes oil change, tire rotation, replace cabin air filter every 12,000, engine air filter even front and rear wiper blades. The servicing dealer is not where he bought the car, and never an upsell. If it needs intake cleaning they do it for free.

Our local VW dealer service is excellent. If they have a service they are just pushing, they will say, "We are recommending this but it is not part of the VW recommended service at this point." Great. If I don't want it, I just say no and life goes on. I have been very impressed by the work there and teir forthrightness.

Thanks, I am less concern about them upselling me service. I was more concern that they will be unscrupulous and start listing things that doesn't exists. I suppose if they don't do that it will be OK, but I will probably use a local mechanic for non-warranty service.

Back