should I let my HIDs turn on and warm up for a few seconds before starting the vehicle?

in my 2003 truck and i assume this happens to newer vehicles too i have a aftermarket 55w hid setup with a relay, and when i put the key in and begin to turn the key to start the engine, the lights turn on because of auto lighting in my truck. and then when i turn the key to crank the truck, the hid turn off for a second when i crank and then turn back on when the truck is on. i know this is all completely normal because the truck obvs wants all power to goto the starter. so my question is that is it bad that the hid's turn on breifly for a second when im in the process of turning the key and then they shut off and then when the truck actually fires up they turn back on. seems kinda hard on the ballast to me since all that happens within 2-3 seconds and the lights turn on, off, then on again. or am i just being paranoid?

i dont think i can disable auto lights in my truck completely so what would i do in this situation. i was thinking of doing this.
putting the key in, letting the lights turn on and stay on for 3-5 seconds kinda thing and then cranking the engine, just so that then the ballast doesnt shut off and back on within a few seconds. what do u guys think? or should i find a way to completely disable the auto lights and then atleast when i start the truck on when i put the key in the lights wont turn on until absolutely necessary?

thanks!

How have you determined that 3-5 seconds is better. Why not 12-15 seconds? Or zero seconds? Or a minute and a half?

Seems like you may be inventing a perceived problem here...

im only basing this cuz i heard that turning off hids and on (which is what the truck is doing) in a short period of time is bad for them, thats why i decided to ask

@Imp4 and @skyactiv

this is what someone messaged me:
“I saw your post. And as an active member on hidplanet.com you need to figure out a way to disable the headlights at start-up. It. Ruins bulbs and ballasts. Let me know if you have any questions,”

Look how nice that is of someone. They read my question and using there KNOWLEDGE they answered my question. And what did you two do? Just act like you guys are some geniuses that know everyone and downplay my question.

if its an aftermarket install why is it turning them on with auto lighting? what truck is this that turns on headlights?
were the original lights halogens and daytime running lights ??

your question and lack of info isnt helping anyone provide you with a solid answer.

yes you can google in 2 seconds to figure out turning on and off hid's is bad. Esp with poor quality aftermarket vs oem quality.

if its an aftermarket install why is it turning them on with auto lighting? what truck is this that turns on hi headlights?
were the original lights halogens and daytime running lights ??

your question and lack of info isnt helping anyone provide you with a solid answer.

yes you can google in 2 seconds to figure out turning on and off hid's is bad. Esp with poor quality aftermarket vs oem quality.

well if they needed that info yeah i guess i could have added that if they asked, i thought it was used since most vehicles i have driven with auto lights do the same things.

and yes exactly the original was halogens and daytime running lights. so basically the auto lights only kick in at night time cuz otherwise its always on daytime lights and the parking and other lights etc.

fair enough but what can i do to minimize the problem thats what im trying to ask, like does warming them up for a few seconds maybe make the turning off and on not so bad compared to on then off and then back on within 2 seconds

The term you're looking to research is 'hot restrike' and in general, yes it is bad for HID's and ballasts, so warming them up is bad for them as well. You want them to stay off until you're ready to use them and then stay on until you're done driving.

Are you driving around with HID's shoved into reflector housings blinding the rest of us? If so, the best course of action is to put stock bulbs back in that work properly with your DRL's.
no i modded my reflector housing in accordance to a forum with my truck

no i modded my reflector housing in accordance to a forum with my truck

I don't believe there is any DOT approved "mod" to put an HID bulb in a reflector. They are all factory fit to a projector for a reason, which is the nice clear cut-off a projector affords, a requirement due to the light intensity and nature of the broad light kernel/arc inherent with the HID design.

Properly done, an HID retrofit uses factory HID projector lights, typically as an option for that particular chassis, for example the RAM 1500's were, in Laramie-trim, available with factory HID's, so you buy the proper factory harness and light assemblies and end up with lights that work as they would from the factory, including, assuming properly aligned, lights that meet DOT code for where it is cast, intensity, cut-off...etc.

If you aren't familiar with the Daniel Stern lighting site, I'd give this article of his a go-over to familiarize yourself:

Last edited:
Set your parking brake. Chevys around that vintage (my 98 s10 for example) dosen't activate auto-lights or even daytime running lights until the parking brake is released.

sadly i tried turning the dial to "drl" before i put the key in, and same thing it still turned on the lights and i guess the truck was confused cuz for some reason when i cranked the engine it also turned them on when the switch was on drl. i guess the truck doesnt like it when the switch is moved while the truck is off.

OP, to answer your question yes, the on/off/on pattern of that you described when starting can be harmful to the HID ballast in the long run or even short term. Most cars that came equipped with HID headlights from the factory won’t actually turn the headlights on until the engine is running. At least all the cars with OEM HID headlights I’ve been around performed this way. My Sonata with OEM LED headlights is the same way. I can place the headlight switch in the on position with the engine off but the headlights won’t turn on, all the other exterior lights turn on but the headlights won’t turn on until the engine has started. Halogen bulbs it’s a non issue.

Back