Should I invest/stock up on freon at this price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local parts store has 30 pound drums at an end of summer price of $275. I need one, but wonder if I should pick up a few extra. One will last me 2-3 years, but with future production cutbacks, prices could soar in a year or five.
At this price and the rate at which you use it, I can't see how you could go wrong with buying at least one.

Be that as it may, from Google; Freon (/ˈfriːɒn/ FREE-on) is a registered trademark of the Chemours Company and generic descriptor for a number of halocarbon products.
The Chemours Company was spun off from Dupont in 2015. R134a is not a Halocarbon it is a hydrofluorocarbon

Be that as it may, from Google; Freon (/ˈfriːɒn/ FREE-on) is a registered trademark of the Chemours Company and generic descriptor for a number of halocarbon products.

Two problems - one, that's not from google, that's actually Wikipedia's info, which is the first result that a google search typically will provide.

Second, as generic descriptor for halocarbon products (CFC's), neither R-134 a or R1234yf are halocarbon products. Both are in different product families. (Specifically R-134a is a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC), and R1234yf is a Hydrofluoroolefin (HFO).

I can see the thread now "Let's see your Freon Stash!". LOL!
Here ya go,

IMG_8622.JPG

Nobody who regularly services AC systems calls R134a, R22, R410a or R1234yf Freon. Freon is R12 only
And is completely incorrect
Says right on the box, freon, so y'all wrong.

That’s enough trolling. Enough bickering.

If the guys who do this work for a living call it by a different name, arguing the point is a waste of everyone’s time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back