Should I give fram TG a try over FL820S ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally caught BITOG Fram TG bug. I would like give this a try. Will it better then FL820S on the ADBV, because I believe motocraft ADBV is superior . It look different and beefy then most ADBV.

Both have a silicone ADBV. The TG is rated for 10K mile use, so I'd think the ADBV is solid enough to take that use rating. TG has higher rated efficiency.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
While the TG is most likely a good filter, I maintain that the MC FL820S is the best value-for-money for a Ford product.

Yep. I use the Motorcraft FL-820S on a Ford V-10 powered motorhome, that also drags around a Chrysler Town and Country on a dolly... and don't lose one moment of sleep over it.

Fram ToughGuard and Fram Ultra's best attributes are:

1. Not make by Purolator like the Motorcraft is (tears).
2. Better filtering efficiency and dirty capacity before clogging.
3. I can't think of a third one.

What he said. .
Originally Posted By: stickybuns

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How about an orange can? Or do you absolutely want the silicone adbv?

FL820s has Silicone ADBV and is ~ $4 at Wal*Mart
Fram PH2 (OCOD equivalent of FL820s) does NOT have a Silicone ADBV and is ~ $4 at Wal*Mart.

Advantage: FL820s

Last edited:
The TG is one of my favorite filters, but so are Motorcrafts. Can't go wrong with either one IMO, although a TG is not a very good value for a 2,500 mile OCI although you do get higher efficiency for just a few more dollars a year.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Fram PH2 (OCOD equivalent of FL820s) does NOT have a Silicone ADBV and is ~ $4 at Wal*Mart.

Having a silicone ADBV is extremely overrated here. The OP said his OCI's are under 3000 miles while the orange can is rated at 5000 miles. The orange can is more efficient too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Having a silicone ADBV is extremely overrated here. The OP said his OCI's are under 3000 miles while the orange can is rated at 5000 miles. The orange can is more efficient too.

I personally don't think a silicone ADBV in a Ford 24 valve 5.4 is over rated. I would never use a filter that doesn't have one in my truck. The filter is the first think they look at if you have engine noise issues.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Thank, I think I stick with MC since my oil change is every 5-6 month ( roughly 2000-2500 miles )

Everyone is missing the obvious here ... 6 months, 2.5k miles on Mobil 1. What a waste.
crazy2.gif

I presume we're referencing the '05 in his sig line; it's not like warranty is a concern as that expired a LONG time ago.

I'd double the O/FCI, and use a decent quality dino and the M/C filter. That would only be one year at 5k miles. No one NEEDS premium fluids and filters at that exposure.

Also, the debate about BP valve location in a filter is pretty darn moot. Jim Allen's testing showed that BP events are RARE, and even if they do happen, the are a fleeting fraction of time. Why worry about the attribute of a filter that is almost never in play? Even if it does come into play, where the evidence that it makes any difference? I'm not asking for opinions; I'm asking for someone to put up proof that it matters. Show me concerete data that these ultra-infrequent BP events actually show some form of wear pattern difference based upon the valve location! It's all theory and no facts; to date, NO ONE has EVER shown me anything but guesses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmb3675
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I personally don't think a silicone ADBV in a Ford 24 valve 5.4 is over rated. I would never use a filter that doesn't have one in my truck. The filter is the first think they look at if you have engine noise issues.

In an OCI over 5000 miles, the silicone ADBV is important.. Ill agree with you there. Anything under that is where I think its over rated. If the filter was to cause engine noise, it would be the first thing to go if it was mine. No questions asked. I hate start up noise because of a filter. My Jeep is terrible about it.

Fram eg is for conventional oil.tg is for blend of synth and conventional.and lastly ultra is for full synthetic.or so one of ffam saleman or women say!

3. The MC has steel end caps and the TG has paper end caps.
Use the MC. And, One Filter, One OCI!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

3. The MC has steel end caps and the TG has paper end caps.
Use the MC. And, One Filter, One OCI!

Paper end caps? Exaggerate much?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back