Should I give fram TG a try over FL820S ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Let's not forget the elephant in the room; the TG has paper end caps VS the MC's steel end caps.
27.gif

The fiber end caps seem to hold up pretty good actually in the photos I've seen lately. Even on filters that have been ran way longer than they should have.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The latest 820s that was posted has terribly wavy pleats and it was only at 5000 miles. The TG is rated for double that. The wavy pleats aren't necessarily bad, but I personally would prefer something a bit more stout like the TG.

The 820s on my dads truck is about done and will have about 5500 miles on it. I can't wait to cut it open, but I fear it will be the last MC filter I run.

The Motorcraft isn't "rated" for anything other than the factory OCI. And mine certainly haven't been "done" at 5K.

FRAM also states:

Originally Posted By: FRAM
1 Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual

If the OLM on an F-150 takes the truck past 10K miles, then the FL-820S is good for that
wink.gif

I never said it was "rated" for anything. I just said an 820s was one posted here that had 5000 miles on it with very wavy pleats. Since the TG is rated for 10,000, I can see it easily passing the MC in durability.

Let's not forget the elephant in the room; the TG has paper end caps VS the MC's steel end caps.
27.gif

Let us not forgot old timers hate change!

Lets just go back to making cars out of 5000 lbs of steel too instead of aluminum.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The TG is an excellent filter. So is the FL-820S. Neither has its media woven from Hercules' pubic hair nor its canister hand formed by Zeus.

^^^
crackmeup2.gif

Well, we know Purolators can't have media woven from Hurcules' pubic hair, otherwise it would never tear ...
eek.gif

Should we ask how you know this? Maybe its too personal of a question?
laugh.gif

I never said it was "rated" for anything. I just said an 820s was one posted here that had 5000 miles on it with very wavy pleats. Since the TG is rated for 10,000, I can see it easily passing the MC in durability.

And I've pulled a TG with 3,000 miles on it and it had wavy pleats. Guess that means it is rated for half the Motorcraft interval? (whatever that is)
crazy2.gif

We are judging durability based on wavy pleats now?
wink.gif

This is like hyperbole after hyperbole here. The OEM filter is rated for the OEM OCI. The TG is recommended for up to 10K miles, or the OEM interval, whichever is shorter. There really isn't a difference there.

The TG is an excellent filter. So is the FL-820S. Neither has its media woven from Hercules' pubic hair nor its canister hand formed by Zeus. While I get that FRAM is the flavour of the month on BITOG right now I think we need to reign in the fanboyism/hysteria a tad.

BTW, this is a Motorcraft with 8,000 miles on it out of my Expedition (pulled in October):

2014-04-21-Motorcraft06.jpg

2014-04-21-Motorcraft07.jpg

I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take my post that way. I just see a lot of pretty wild "FRAM IS THE BEST!!!" vs "insert other filter here" as of late in the filter section and some of it seems to be getting a little out of hand. They are certainly top-ranked in efficiency, particularly the Ultra, which is probably the best filter available at its price point, no argument from me there. But when we start talking about "more durable" and "stronger paint" and then basing these statements on some pictures of wavy pleats and God knows what else I think we've taken a bit of a departure from reality in terms of what can be proven by looking at a few pics on the Internet and what can't.

No rudeness taken whatsoever. I did say earlier that the wavy pleats aren't that big of a deal and that I would prefer something a bit more stout. The 820s you posted looked much better than the one I was referring too as well.

And if this thread was titled "should I give WIX a try over the 820s," I would have definitely sided with WIX in this situation.

I just said an 820s was one posted here that had 5000 miles on it with very wavy pleats. Since the TG is rated for 10,000, I can see it easily passing the MC in durability.

Not really...though I had some concerns after seeing the one at 10K, the one at 15K was equally in good shape.

MC FL-820s @ 10K

MC FL-820s @ 15K

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Let us not forgot old timers hate change!

Lets just go back to making cars out of 5000 lbs of steel too instead of aluminum.

Hey, finally something I agree with you on!
thumbsup2.gif

When I was younger my dad had a '47 Ford. As kids, we used that thing as a jungle gym prior to him restoring it. The sheet metal on that car was so thick we actually used it as a back stop when we played baseball in the yard. If a baseball were to hit it you could never tell. I mean, there were times when it got dinged a bit, but very few.
As far as the old timer reply, I agree with you there too. I, like many other BITOG members, I'm sure, have some old habits that are hard to break.
smile.gif

This is like hyperbole after hyperbole here.

This really shouldn't come a shock! Maybe it's to make up for the abundance of abusive hyperbole Fram was subject to not so many years back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back