Should I get coated drums or not?

Thanks everyone. I think ill just get non coated drums. I can just paint them and they arent that expensive anyway if they need replacement far down the line.

I've had success painting discs in the past.

You don't need to mask up the disc at all. The pad will soon sweep off any paint in the area in which it touches.

I've always applied 2 coats of a cold zinc galvanizing spray, ensuring to get right into all the flutes if it's a vented disc followed by 2 coats of high temp satin black.

Things rust plenty where I am, just coat the relevant areas with brake grease (since I have it out anyway, otherwise would be anti-seize), and I'd still do that with coated rotors or drums.

I got non coated drums for my Accent and after one winter I will tell you next time I'll be getting coated, and not just for cosmetic reasons. I wanted to adjust and clean my brakes before winter and I could not get the drums off without damaging them because of the rusted lip inside, so when they do come off it will be to replace them and it will probably require the air hammer.

Most coated drums are fully coated so the all the spots on the inside where the shoes don't rub don't rust to heck.

Better drums should be coated, and OE is almost always as well. I’d get a coated one but if not, a can of VHT caliper paint isn’t that expensive.

Back