should I get a fram suredrain?

Messages
23
Location
Utah
I use the sure drain on my 2002 honda crv and my f150 truck and love it. I want one for my saturn, but they dont make one for it yet. Its really nice because all of the oil is routed into a gallon jug.
 
Messages
403
Location
California
I use the fumoto valve and the quality is top notch. I'm not sure of the fram product. I think they are worth it especially if you plan on doing oil analysis.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
I have the Fram Sure Drain and it definitely makes taking oil samples easier since I can just draw out a bit and then close it up, plus since it flows slower, I don't spill anything while taking the sample. The one problem I have with it is that it's got that removable piece which is needed to start the flow, so if you lose it you're screwed. And you need to clean that piece after you're done too, so far I've used Neutra to clean it but was wondering if there is another chemical I should use instead or if that's ok? I simply soaked the little valve in Neutra overnight, then washed it good with water. I hope that piece doesn't affect the wear numbers in analysis somehow.
 
Messages
529
Location
Manitoba, Canada
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: The one problem I have with it is that it's got that removable piece which is needed to start the flow, so if you lose it you're screwed.
How much was it? I don't know what exactly a Fumoto valve is, I'll look in the forum, but how much is Fumoto in Canada, and where is the best place to get one? Is it just me or is it a total pain to go into a garage with a "strange" request like getting them to clean the drain plug area, remove it with a clean and special funnel under, take a sample, and return the first few cups that came out back to the oil? Granted I may have to do that just two or three times a year but they always make me feel like such an idiot. Is there a Winnipeg-based mechanic reading this??
 
Messages
330
Location
USA
quote:
Originally posted by rob-the-oil-nut:
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: The one problem I have with it is that it's got that removable piece which is needed to start the flow, so if you lose it you're screwed.
How much was it? I don't know what exactly a Fumoto valve is, I'll look in the forum, but how much is Fumoto in Canada, and where is the best place to get one? Is it just me or is it a total pain to go into a garage with a "strange" request like getting them to clean the drain plug area, remove it with a clean and special funnel under, take a sample, and return the first few cups that came out back to the oil? Granted I may have to do that just two or three times a year but they always make me feel like such an idiot. Is there a Winnipeg-based mechanic reading this??

I don't get guys like you that get so into some of this stuff but you don't do the work yourself. Why let anyone change your oil.... It is easy and cheaper to do it yourself and you KNOW it is done correctly.
 
Messages
874
Location
Pacific NW
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: ... And you need to clean that piece after you're done too, so far I've used Neutra to clean it but was wondering if there is another chemical I should use instead or if that's ok? I simply soaked the little valve in Neutra overnight, then washed it good with water. ....
Patman, Won't your initial drain take care of flushing any Neutra or old oil? I'd be fine without the Neutra but would drain an extra cup before sampling. A question: Looking on Fram's site the SureDrain's look like metal. I thought they were yellow plastic?
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
Yep, it looks to me like brass. I do let some of the oil drain first before taking a sample, but I still worry about making sure that removable nozzle piece is totally free of any contaminents. I've got some brake cleaner at home that I've never used, so I'll use that next time! As far as where to get these up here, Canadian Tire sells em for $20. The Fumoto valve is not up here AFAIK. If it was I would've bought it instead.
 
Messages
866
Location
OH, US
quote:
Originally posted by oilboy28: I use the sure drain on my 2002 honda crv and my f150 truck and love it. I want one for my saturn, but they dont make one for it yet. Its really nice because all of the oil is routed into a gallon jug.
check the new fram book. the auto parts store close to me just got a new one that lists a suredrain for the saturn 1.9L engine. --Matt
 
Messages
23
Location
Utah
The funny thing was mine did too. I bought and installed it and lost over a quart of oil during the next week. I called fram and they said they dont make one for the saturn. The book is mistaken.
 
Messages
529
Location
Manitoba, Canada
quote:
Originally posted by ssmokn: I don't get guys like you that get so into some of this stuff but you don't do the work yourself. Why let anyone change your oil.... It is easy and cheaper to do it yourself and you KNOW it is done correctly.
You are quite right / point well taken. Maybe I'll invest in the tools or rent a lift for a few minutes.
 
Top