Should I flush the tranny or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get citgo mercon v at the local farm fleet cheaper than super tech at walmart. Are ATF just as compatible as motor oil when it comes to mixing? Does it matter if it says synthetic or conventional? If the price is similar should I look into the motorcraft fluid?

Mercon V will be compatible but different ATF should not be mixed.

That's why I recommend a complete exchange.

MC had a great VI, better than Citgo and way better than Amsoil.

However, Amsoil has significant additional heat protection and is rated for 100k service / 50k severe. That's over 3 times what Ford say. So you could conceivably do one full exchange and forget about it for a long time.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Mercon V will be compatible but different ATF should not be mixed.

That's why I recommend a complete exchange.

MC had a great VI, better than Citgo and way better than Amsoil.

However, Amsoil has significant additional heat protection and is rated for 100k service / 50k severe. That's over 3 times what Ford say. So you could conceivably do one full exchange and forget about it for a long time.

So your saying as long as I stick with a mercon v, I should be alright regardless of brand? And not to mix mercon v with other ATFs.

I just looked through the product data sheets and I would suggest staying away from Castrol. MC seems better than the others (apart from the Amsoil on the heat resistance).

Out of the choices you mentioned:

1) MC
2) Citgo (close in terms of spec to MC)
3) Supertech. Prob ok but no definitive specs and not necessary to consider if Citgo is cheaper

Originally Posted By: volk06

So your saying as long as I stick with a mercon v, I should be alright regardless of brand? And not to mix mercon v with other ATFs.

Yep

The trannies are the weak part of that car. If you have the AX4S trans that is worse than having the AX4N.

Also the coolant / radiator is a weak spot esp for Vulcan engines. Acustrip have a special test strip for Premium Gold coolant that costs very little to have sent direct to you. Again you want to make sure you have no other coolant in there and that you have sufficient nitrite levels to prevent corrosion

I looked again today in more light and when I wiped the dipstick on a paper towel is it much more bright pink that I initiall thought it was.

I suggest a transmission kit ...filter and gasket.... drop the pan, clean and change filter and then do a complete flush with OEM fluid, not need to add additives, i have done on 2004 corolla at about 80000 KM and 120000 KM, unplug the cooler line......not sure why people are afraid to treat your car... I also did id to a 1999 Ford focus,,,never ad this service done....after two years owner it is very happy of procedure, see this DIY

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9t...-procedure.html

I just looked through the product data sheets and I would suggest staying away from Castrol.
Why?

According to the Castrol site, it is one of the few Mercon Vs that is certified and approved by Ford. Valvoline USED to be, but they no longer claim that.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I just looked through the product data sheets and I would suggest staying away from Castrol.
Why?

According to the Castrol site, it is one of the few Mercon Vs that is certified and approved by Ford. Valvoline USED to be, but they no longer claim that.

Im curious to know also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back