Should I do a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used Dino for 5k ocis, but I decided to give synthetic a go. I'm at about 8,750 miles on this current oci of pennzoil ultra in the is250. I've never done a uoa, and was wondering if I should dump it at 9k and call it good or get a uoa to see how the oil held up and if it's safe?

The uoa is the safe route, but if you don't use the same oil it might not hold up the same mileage next time. Still it has some value. Make sure to get a TBN.

I actually have enough of the same pennzoil ultra 5w30 (non pure plus) to do 1 more oil change in the car. So I will be running the same oil for another oci. After that, I dunno.

901Memphis said:
If you can afford it why not they are a cheap hobby, $30 once or twice a year. [/quote

They serve well as a hobby but not much valve otherwise. Perhaps for oil contamination.

Nothing is a safe bet without knowing driving style.

UOA that oil and get a TBN too. Then, adjust your OCI for your data.

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
I have always used Dino for 5k ocis, but I decided to give synthetic a go. I'm at about 8,750 miles on this current oci of pennzoil ultra in the is250. I've never done a uoa, and was wondering if I should dump it at 9k and call it good or get a uoa to see how the oil held up and if it's safe?

A UOA can tell all kind of valuable information. But it costs $25 which is about what an oil change costs. A UOA is good if you are trying to push the OCI, concerned about an engine issue, or you have a large sump (several gallons) where doing UOAs to determine when to change the oil makes $$ sense.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you can afford it why not they are a cheap hobby, $30 once or twice a year.

They serve well as a hobby but not much valve otherwise. Perhaps for oil contamination.

Or to check TBN. While the additives are probably not depleted, it will be good to know for sure, especially if OP intends to go further. I respect your 10k history with M1, but others may need to see the results for their engine/oil combo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back