Should I continue using Castrol GTX High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post! It's time for an oil change, and I am looking to get some advice. I drive an 05 Corolla S with +130,0000 miles on it, and for the last few changes I've been using Castrol GTX High Mileage. I like the idea of it being a synthetic blend, although I'm not 100% sure regarding its benefits. Is this an appropriate selection? Or can I get away with a conventional oil that'll cost me less? Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend no more than $20 on motor oil if possible.

And based on the /u/d00df00d sticky, the manual recommends 5W-30, API SL "Energy Conserving" or ILSAC, with change intervals at every 5,000 miles. I'm more of an aggressive driver that lives in the suburbs. My daily drive is relatively short, 10 to 30 mins, involving city streets and highway use. Lastly, my car has zero known problems. Let me know if there's anything else I should mention.

**Not sure if I should mention this in Engine Oil Filters instead, but I've also been using Purolator Classic Oil Filters with the Castrol GTX High Mileage. Should I continue with these? Or are there better options? Looking to spend no more than $10 on a filter. Thanks!

Keep using th Castrol HM and upgrade to a Fram Tough guard filter and call it a day. You've made it this far.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Keep using th Castrol HM and upgrade to a Fram Tough guard filter and call it a day. You've made it this far.

+1 ..... FRAM Tough Guard or Wix/NAPA Gold

Originally Posted By: dr3wd3zi
First post! It's time for an oil change, and I am looking to get some advice. I drive an 05 Corolla S with +130,0000 miles on it, and for the last few changes I've been using Castrol GTX High Mileage. I like the idea of it being a synthetic blend, although I'm not 100% sure regarding its benefits. Is this an appropriate selection? Or can I get away with a conventional oil that'll cost me less? Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend no more than $20 on motor oil if possible.

**Not sure if I should mention this in Engine Oil Filters instead, but I've also been using Purolator Classic Oil Filters with the Castrol GTX High Mileage. Should I continue with these? Or are there better options? Looking to spend no more than $10 on a filter. Thanks!

First, oil that costs you less is Pennzoil High Mileage 5W30 on Amazon for $15.xx pack of 6, it was $11.xx when I ordered it few weeks ago, it was 13.xx just 2-3 days ago. If you order 4 cases you will not pay sipping cost.

Oil filter: Pep Boys has good discount code at about 20-35% off once in a while, their regular rice for Fram Ultra is 9.99 with discount it can be as low as $6.xx, it can be used for 2 oil changes so each oil change will cost you $3.xx.

$30 for oil and filter is very do-able at Walmart.

And if you get the Fram XG4967, you can run that filter up to 15,000 miles.

Stick with what you are doing. It is working. Take it from a guy who "just had" to try every new and different formulation: stick with what is working for you. I just finished a hot weather long distance high speed run on 11 year old GC. It works so why change until I finally run out.

BITOG follows the law of diminishing returns. More and more effort for less and less reward.

What you are doing isn't sexy, but it's working fine. No need to change.

If you do want to fiddle with this combination, and that's why we are all here, look to the filter first.
Nothing wrong with good 'ol GTX in your application.

Originally Posted By: dr3wd3zi
First post! It's time for an oil change, and I am looking to get some advice. I drive an 05 Corolla S with +130,0000 miles on it, And based on the /u/d00df00d sticky, the manual recommends 5W-30, API SL "Energy Conserving" or ILSAC, with change intervals at every 5,000 miles. Lastly, my car has zero known problems. Let me know if there's anything else I should mention.

Should I continue with these? ............... Thanks!

New dude first post hey.

Change the oil as per usual BUT do NOT change what the oil your use or procedure in you have been doing.
Do not confuse these.

130000 miles and zero issues SORRY but your question 'Should I continue with these?'
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Is a dumb question if your vehicle could speak IMO.

I hope you take the above as a compliment you are DOING REALLY well so keep doing it like posters have said above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back